This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

33 and a third meter pools

I notice the new firmware update still does not support 33 and a third meter (or yard) pools. These size pools are very common in the UK. Without this functionality the distance is allows going to be 1% wrong. Any plans to add this?
thanks
  • Thanks for the suggestion. We are mulling. Perhaps you, or others, could provide us with some more input.

Which pool size is common - 33 and a third meters, 33 and a third yards, or both? Initial thoughts are that we would be more inclined to set this up as a preset option under Pool Size along with the standard pool sizes (25 m, 25 yds, 50 m, 33 1/3 m,...). The other option would be to enable setting of a decimal place under custom pool size but this has a weakness. If we enabled you to set the pool size to 33.3 m, then after three lengths you would see 100 m, not 99 m and that is probably what you want. But, after thirty lengths you would see 999 m, not 1000 m and maybe not so happy...? By allowing you to set the pool size to "33 and a third", we can avoid this problem but we lose the flexibility for other unusual pool sizes that are not a whole number. Perhaps these don't exist though? Or perhaps the people that swim in them don't care for that level of precision? Presumably you would have to bring a tape measure to the pool to measure it,... which I have done, incidentally. :-)
    Please speak now if you have unusual pool size request. I'm not promising that we'll be able to accommodate all requests, but your input will be considered.
  • It would be nice to be able to set longer distances for custom. I have a beach swim that is 135 mtr between points. I would like to be able to use the pool setting rather than the GPS, because I know the distance. On such a short distance going back and forth the GPS is to variable for individual laps, some report longer, some shorter - to the 910's credit though I must add that the overall distance ends up averaging it about right.
  • 33.3m pools? I'm in the UK, but have not come across a single one.

I notice the new firmware update still does not support 33 and a third meter (or yard) pools. These size pools are very common in the UK. Without this functionality the distance is allows going to be 1% wrong. Any plans to add this?
    thanks
  • When I used to swim as a teenager our old pool was 33.3 yards, giving the "standard" 3 lengths was 100 yards,
    When races were held over 100 m we had to do an extra turn and swim the extra distance to a rope across the pool!
  • It would be nice to be able to set longer distances for custom. I have a beach swim that is 135 mtr between points. I would like to be able to use the pool setting rather than the GPS, because I know the distance. On such a short distance going back and forth the GPS is to variable for individual laps, some report longer, some shorter - to the 910's credit though I must add that the overall distance ends up averaging it about right.

Thanks for your input. The Garmin Swim is only intended for pool swimming and it requires the pool to have sides/walls where the swimmer turns. For your "beach swim that is 135 mtr between points" it sounds like there may not be sides. If there are no sides, even if it were possible to set the pool size to 135 m, it is unlikely that you could get an accurate distance. So you are doing the right thing by using the open water setting on the 910.

We are aware that there are some large beach pools out there that are enclosed with sides so we are re-examining the current 100 m upper limit for these use cases.
  • Thanks for the suggestion. We are mulling. Perhaps you, or others, could provide us with some more input.

Which pool size is common - 33 and a third meters, 33 and a third yards, or both? Initial thoughts are that we would be more inclined to set this up as a preset option under Pool Size along with the standard pool sizes (25 m, 25 yds, 50 m, 33 1/3 m,...). The other option would be to enable setting of a decimal place under custom pool size but this has a weakness. If we enabled you to set the pool size to 33.3 m, then after three lengths you would see 100 m, not 99 m and that is probably what you want. But, after thirty lengths you would see 999 m, not 1000 m and maybe not so happy...? By allowing you to set the pool size to "33 and a third", we can avoid this problem but we lose the flexibility for other unusual pool sizes that are not a whole number. Perhaps these don't exist though? Or perhaps the people that swim in them don't care for that level of precision? Presumably you would have to bring a tape measure to the pool to measure it,... which I have done, incidentally. :-)
    Please speak now if you have unusual pool size request. I'm not promising that we'll be able to accommodate all requests, but your input will be considered.

Hey - thanks for your reply. There are a lot of 33 and a third meters pools in the uk (and a few 33 and a third yard). They are left by the Victorians. These are the only common strange fractional length pools in the UK I know of. Your suggestion of adding these (33 1/3m and 33 1/3 yard) to the present option under Pool Size make most sense - this will enable you to set the exact size of a 1/3 rather than .33 - thus 3 lengths will be 100m and not 99.99m.

I'm sure there are several other people out there training in pools this size who would greatly appreciate this too.

Thanks again
  • Hey - thanks for your reply. There are a lot of 33 and a third meters pools in the uk (and a few 33 and a third yard). They are left by the Victorians. These are the only common strange fractional length pools in the UK I know of. Your suggestion of adding these (33 1/3m and 33 1/3 yard) to the present option under Pool Size make most sense - this will enable you to set the exact size of a 1/3 rather than .33 - thus 3 lengths will be 100m and not 99.99m.

I'm sure there are several other people out there training in pools this size who would greatly appreciate this too.

Thanks again

My pool is also 33 and 1/3 meters!
  • A new user here and a little disappointed at the lack of 33.3m pool support :-(

+1 for inclusion in the next firmware - which is due when btw?
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 11 years ago
    18 metre pool

Thanks for the suggestion. We are mulling. Perhaps you, or others, could provide us with some more input.

is there any way i can reset my garmin to accmondate an 18metre pool size, this is where i do most of my pool swimming.
  • Thanks for your input. The Garmin Swim is only intended for pool swimming and it requires the pool to have sides/walls where the swimmer turns. For your "beach swim that is 135 mtr between points" it sounds like there may not be sides. If there are no sides, even if it were possible to set the pool size to 135 m, it is unlikely that you could get an accurate distance. So you are doing the right thing by using the open water setting on the 910.

We are aware that there are some large beach pools out there that are enclosed with sides so we are re-examining the current 100 m upper limit for these use cases.

Whoops, wrong forum. But my request stands for the 910.

The swim I mentioned is from rocky point 1 to rocky point 2, so in this instance there are sides that I can push off from at either end. And for FWIW I have actually found the 910 to accurately record my laps in a pool, even when I have had to turn just before the wall because of crowding. I consider it very accurate, aside from sometimes thinking I am doing butterfly when I do fs sprints.