This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

extra laps 1 in 5!

HI,

So I bought a garmin swim. New product, always a gamble. I need it to do one thing accurately, and at that one thing it's hopeless.

I swam my usual 2000 meters in a 25 m pool (yeah I know a pain but it's winter and the 25 is heated). The first few laps were fine, then I started getting extra laps. Turns out it's adding about 1 in 5, and when I uploaded my data it has misidentified my stroke on a bunch of laps.

Ok my technique sucks, but this is ridiculous. If garmin can't find a solution to this I'm going to have to sell it on.

Furthermore I can't see how I can edit the swim to fix the laps. At least if I can delete the extra laps I'd be able to calculate how far I've gone after the fact.

Garmin should add a stroke count option. That would allow me to just divide by my average strokes/length and also make it useful for tethered and open swimming.

Right now I'm wishing I'd saved my $155 and bought a $35 manual lap counter. Really disappointed.
  • Here are some tips for improving the length counting accuracy that you might want to try:
    - Make sure you don't stop or change strokes mid-length. Strive for a smooth, consistent stroke pattern.
    - Pause the watch (bottom-right button) when resting. Press Pause when you start a rest and then press it again to unpause right before you resume swimming.
    - Strive for a strong push-off from the wall with a nice glide phase. The actual turn style doesn't matter.
    - Leave the watch paused or use the drill logging feature if you are doing a drill.

We are looking at a stroke count only option for the use cases you mention, as well as for swimming in stationary pools (the ones with a current like a water treadmill of sorts).
  • That mode would be good.

I'm already doing all that to the best of my ability. The watch counts the turns pretty well, but it seems to be inserting extra turns at random mid length. I've done a firmware upgrade as per garmin supports reply. I'll post again when I get back into the pool (been in hospital this week).

Being able to edit the data post swim would help also. It's pretty easy to spot the extra laps, I can't swim 25 meters in 12 seconds. :)

Anyway I'll keep trying.
  • I agree on the editing the data in Garmin Connect. That is #1 on the wish list. I expect if we got more and more people posting swims on GC, this request would get bumped up the priority list. :-)
  • It's actually worse. Someone in another thread suggested a reset. I'll try that next but if that doesn't work I'm returning it.

"making it ideal for lap swimmers of all levels" in the blurb. Mind that's pertaining to swolf data, but still...Like I say I'm happy to believe my technique is awful, especially after last week in london where our olympic team showed the world how hopeless us Australians are in the pool (he says with a cheeky grin), but this is ridiculous.

I did 2000 meters this morning and it thinks I swam 3350. It even recorded 2 rest stops back to back. I'll try and post the session:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/209015496

Don't know if that will work ?
  • I know it may not help, but mine has still worked great for me. I had my girlfriend try it for a few sessions and it had some errors with each workout she did. In every error case it adds lengths to her sets, rather than coming up short. For what it's worth it did have a few intervals correct. The last session she did was 2100 swimming and it recorded 2225. Not awful but I would hope for better.

I think it is coming down to her stroke rate being just a little too slow. On the sets it hits correctly she has a little better consistency, but more than that a slightly higher stroke rate.

Looking at your data I tried to estimate stroke rate from the intervals...
    Interval 1 -- 189 strokes, 14:44 minutes = ~12 spm (per hand)
    Interval 2 -- 201 in 19:08 = ~10.5 spm
    Interval 3 -- 195 in 17:17 = ~11.3 spm

Do these numbers seem right to you? Have you counted strokes per length or estimated stroke rate (cadence)? I am not an expert at swimming, but these seem a little lower than "normal" to me, perhaps it is what causes the watch problems? I am not critiquing your swim form, it is likely more efficient than mine and gets much better distance per stroke; I'm just trying to help understand where the watch has problems.
  • GUZZIS3, It reset the Watch, I was thinking about returning it but with the reset has been fixed everything. Try it! :)
  • Looking at your data I tried to estimate stroke rate from the intervals...
    Interval 1 -- 189 strokes, 14:44 minutes = ~12 spm (per hand)
    Interval 2 -- 201 in 19:08 = ~10.5 spm
    Interval 3 -- 195 in 17:17 = ~11.3 spm

Do these numbers seem right to you? Have you counted strokes per length or estimated stroke rate (cadence)? I am not an expert at swimming, but these seem a little lower than "normal" to me, perhaps it is what causes the watch problems? I am not critiquing your swim form, it is likely more efficient than mine and gets much better distance per stroke; I'm just trying to help understand where the watch has problems.

This forum seems to work about as well as my watch. Every other post gets lost. Sigh.

Try again:

Thank you for your interest. I am genuinely happy your watch works well for you.

When I have counted strokes it works out about 12 per length. I don't kick very much as I have bad knees. I do swim slowly. Takes me about an hour to do 2000 meters.

I did a factory reset, didn't help.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/210392709

Again 4 sets of 500 for a 2000 meter total. If I could swim 3400 meters in that time I'd be a happy boy :)

Anyway I've got an rma, forms filled out. It's going back. I need to be swimming not wasting time trying to get this to work.

Again thank you for the replies.
  • GUZZIS3, your technique can't possibly suck. You swim at a decent pace and at a great length. I have issues of my own with extra laps inserted, but I do what gildenhuys recommends (press lap at the end of each length - even if you don't really stop for rest). This seems to cut down extra lengths. Now I typically only have one in the middle of the pack. Not sure what causes that still.