This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Forerunner 235 -- condensation under face. Thought it was waterproof?

I've got a Garmin Forerunner 235, bought it 2.5 years ago. Bought it for tracking running, cycling, and activity, and waterproof was a big selling point. Despite it being waterproof, I've never worn it in the pool or shower, closest moisture has been perspiration and a few time running in the rain. So yesterday after a run I noticed a small spot of condensation on the watch face. Then this morning, the entire face is clouded over. Really disappointing. Wonder if I did something wrong or defective product...

• Condensation can occur in waterproof devices in some circumstances. For example when a rapid change in ambient temperature occurs.

• Thanks, but no rapid change in temp occurred. Further, seems unlikely in a watch supposedly good for swimming.

• I have two additional remarks:

1. Condensation does not occur without reason, even in totally unsealed devices. Please do not confuse condensation with just being wet. So try to make sure if it is indeed condensation, and not simply droplets of water that got inside.

2. Being waterproof (or even hermetic) does not guarantee that condensation will not occur. Please note, that air trapped inside the watch has some natural moisture in it. Sometimes manuals for devices which are designed to be operated under water mention that condensation inside can occur, and that it is a normal (and somewhat expected) phenomenon.

All that said, please remember that the FR235 is NOT a fully water tight device. It is sealed to a degree which should (at least in theory) allow to survive some easy surface swims or a shower, but I bet that air can get in and out, albeit in some restricted fashion.