This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Heart Rate from connected external HR monitor is not shown in Pool Swim [Vivoactive 3 - iOS - Garmin Connect]

I have a Garmin Vivoactive 3 and use an external HR Monitor (Wahoo Tickr X) to record heart rate. Whenever I start an activity, "External HR connected" message shows up on the watch and I can see the recorded heart rate and relevant graphs in Garmin Connect later.

For the pool swim, however, I do get the connected message but I cannot see any information at all about heart rate in the Garmin Connect activity!

Is there a way to see this piece of information?

• I think that you should use compatible HR monitor (Garmin HRM tri or Garmin HRM swim chest strap), maybe your HR will be recorded with them. Normal BT or ANT+ pod is not usable, because in the water the signal can not go trough. The pod should be smart enough to record the data and sync afterwards with the watch.

You should check the manual if your watch is compatible with HRM tri or swim.

• First, it would be better to ask on the Vivoactive 3 forum. This one is for the old Garmin Swim watch.

And second, as PG already noted, ANT+/BLE radio waves do not travel through water, so the watch loses connection to the strap while swimming. One solution would be using the HRM-Swim or HRM-Tri straps, that can buffer HR data and upload it to the watch after getting out of pool, but I think the VA3 does not support the offline download capability of those straps.