Fenix 5x Plus open water accuracy

I’ve been using my brand new Fenix 5x Plus watch while on holiday. My main sport is running but I have competed in Ironman and SwimRun races and need a watch that can deal with both running and swimming effectively. I previously used a Fenix 3 very happily. The 5x plus is disastrous when it comes to open water swimming. No matter whether I use GPS on its own or with GLONASS or Galileo, the track bears no resemblance to the actual swim. Generally it records less than half of the distance. I have tried waiting for five minutes before starting to swim but that makes no difference either. I swim a normal front crawl stroke and I’m swimming in clear salt water with gorgeous blue skies above me. Considering I’m using Garmin’s most expensive watch, I’m very disappointed. Support suggests I attach the watch to a float or put it under my swim cap, both of which are either laughable or offensive depending on my mood. Is anybody else having similar issues?
Parents
  • I also wish I had of known all this before I purchased my Garmin.  I wanted it predominantly for Open Water Swimming but can never get an accurate read.  When pool swimming in 25m pool, it often adds or drops 25m.  Extremely frustrated by all of this.  If I had of known, I would have purchased an Apple Watch instead.  

• I also wish I had of known all this before I purchased my Garmin.  I wanted it predominantly for Open Water Swimming but can never get an accurate read.  When pool swimming in 25m pool, it often adds or drops 25m.  Extremely frustrated by all of this.  If I had of known, I would have purchased an Apple Watch instead.  

Children
No Data