Fenix 5x Plus open water accuracy

I’ve been using my brand new Fenix 5x Plus watch while on holiday. My main sport is running but I have competed in Ironman and SwimRun races and need a watch that can deal with both running and swimming effectively. I previously used a Fenix 3 very happily. The 5x plus is disastrous when it comes to open water swimming. No matter whether I use GPS on its own or with GLONASS or Galileo, the track bears no resemblance to the actual swim. Generally it records less than half of the distance. I have tried waiting for five minutes before starting to swim but that makes no difference either. I swim a normal front crawl stroke and I’m swimming in clear salt water with gorgeous blue skies above me. Considering I’m using Garmin’s most expensive watch, I’m very disappointed. Support suggests I attach the watch to a float or put it under my swim cap, both of which are either laughable or offensive depending on my mood. Is anybody else having similar issues?
  • Sucks. Truly sucks. With all the tech available and GARMIn made a watch that cannot do what its marketed to do. Fenix 5 wont track open water swims. Garmin whats the solution?

• I also wish I had of known all this before I purchased my Garmin.  I wanted it predominantly for Open Water Swimming but can never get an accurate read.  When pool swimming in 25m pool, it often adds or drops 25m.  Extremely frustrated by all of this.  If I had of known, I would have purchased an Apple Watch instead.  

• Same here had no problems with my old Fenix 3 and since I have been only running I did not have any issues until I started training for my next 70.3. I went for a swim in nice clear water and sunny day in St-Martin. On 3 différentes occasions trying everything Ive read and nothing works. I’m very disappointed, I have spent thousands of dollards trough the years and if this doesn’t get resolved soon and it doesn’t look like they will I may have to rethink my commitment.      

• I do, I think for the price we paid for such instrument one would expect it to be precise. If they can not give what they advertise then, the should just advise for a better one.

If you went to a shop and they gave you a malfunction a defective item you are entitled to a refund.

I think if they can not provide a repair they should be giving us a refund. 

The main reason I bought this watch was for swimming. What a fiasco.

• I do, I think for the price we paid for such instrument one would expect it to be precise. If they can not give what they advertise then, the should just advise for a better one.

If you went to a shop and they gave you a malfunction a defective item you are entitled to a refund.

I think if they can not provide a repair they should be giving us a refund. 

The main reason I bought this watch was for swimming. What a fiasco.

• I have the same problem with my Fenix 5S - the open water accuracy has ben appalling over the past 3 months. I have been swimming upstream in the river, so i thought i was moving too slowly for the GPS. However after moving to the Hume Dam, the problems have continued. I maybe get 1 accurate gps tracking to every 5 totally incorrect ones. Software is up to date - does anyone have any suggestions?

• I’m having an issue with gps tracking on my fenix 5x plus, BUT it tracks too much! 
    if I don’t hit stop, it will just keep moving. It will record 300-500 yards in a couple minutes of me resting on my buoy, arms Not in the water! 
    I had this exact same problem with my fenix 3hr as well.

it will be good for about 1500-2000 yards swimming open water, then it begins to go crazy and bounce all over the place.

all updates, maps are up to date. Back when I called garmin they were no help with this on the fenix 3hr.

Today I just stopped in the middle of the swim as it was getting ridiculous my partner had around 2,000 yards and I was over 3,000 yards and climbing. 

• I use a Garmin Swim 2 for indoor swimming (25 lap). I find it to be extremely accurate, both in measuring the laps as well as identifying the strokes. 

• The following helped for me. Now I get acceptable tracks most time. Not good ones.
    Before you go swimming sync your watch with Garmin Connect. Or with the Garmin App.
    With the APP I am not really sure. This loads the so called almanac to the Fenix (position of all satellites for the next time).
    This allows the watch to find the satellites more quickly. Then before swimming move to a position with good sight and start swimming activity. Give the watch a few minutes. Then start recording and swimming. Gives a much better rate of acceptable tracks. I am still experimenting if Glonass and Galieo make things worse or improve it. It looks GPS alone seems to be best.

• Thanks @denglerfranz I'll try that.  Have also tried the different satellites but they made no difference at all. I called Garmin support and they asked me to switch watch off and on (!) and then sync to Garmin Connect.  I haven't done that as routine before each swim though so i';ll do that tonight and see what happens!