This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Swim needs accuracy improvement

I think the Garmin Swim watch is not accurate in counting strokes and pool length. Comparing to PoolMate Live of Swimovate (I have such one too), I would say it is highly inaccurate.

The PoolMate watch can miss a pool length on a low pace, especially for backstrokes. It accurately calculates the number of strokes and number of pool length on higher paces.

The Garmin Swim watch also can miss a pool length on a low pace. However, it often adds pool length. For example, recently it counted 6 pool length (150 m) instead of actual 4 (100 m) when I swam with backstrokes. Additionally, it does not count strokes properly when pace is sufficiently high. Sometimes the difference gets up to 200%. Needless to say (but less important), sometimes it fails to detect stroke type. It almost never detects butterfly strokes.

My general impression is that the watch does not recognize strokes but tries to estimate the stroke count.

I think that instead of detecting the stroke type, the watch should allow to select one. I suppose if the stroke type is known, then it is easier to detect individual strokes.

Additionally, possibility to correct mistakes in the watch would be very nice.

Meanwhile, I deal with this by downloading the FIT files from Garmin Connects, fixing them with a program I wrote and uploading them back.
  • Hey guys i have fenix 5. Swimming pool 50 meters officially and outside. Never count 1000 m when I swam 1000 m. The problem if its not counting properly what the hell we do the lot data? Another problem when I use the laptime because the distance its not accuracy and I like to use my brain (sorry garmin but u just simply and forget the basic) its not working because its measure like the rest, so in the end when I wanna see my last 100 meters how fast I was or slow. I can just read a not punctual too complicated something. I had Suunto Ambit before without swimming activities. Much more better. I just miss it. I found the garmin and their apps a disgusting too complicated. They should learn a lot from Suunto. (but the colors is nice. At least) Miss the basic and logically think here.
  • Belu are you saying that the 645 counts incorrect number of lengths when you swim in your 50M pool? I have owned Garmin Swim, 920 and now 935 and only experience miscounted laps on a very small number of swims. Usually where I have had to take avoiding action or slow down drastically in a lane. I don't do tumble turns and my swim stroke is no beter than "average". What stroke do you swim how do you turn and what level of error - frequency and magnitude are you seeing?
  • I have fenix 5. I dont know the 645, 920, 950. I had Suunto. (higher quality of the software). yes 50 meters outside. just freestyle. speed about 2:10 min/100 meters. I usually swim 1 km about 21:30. I use the simple turns without flip. I do not care the stroke because its nonsense without distance. What I really miss it a basic stopper which show the laptimes and the cumulative time too. Suunto have this. Garmin should learn from them. Basic logical thinking and simplicity. I regret to change.
  • You posted under Garmin Swim, which is very simple and no longer sold.Yes, the Fenix 5 has a lot more than you need. However, I believe there is a stop watch function on the F5 or you can download a simple one in Garmin Connect IQ. While it may seem overwhelming, there are a lot of youtube videos on how to use various functions, an d then it is a piece of cake.
  • Belu I must admit I'm a bit confused about what you do want

I'm not totally familiar with the Fenix 5 but I believe the functions available are very similar to the 935

So you can pick pool swim activity which will automatically count laps - I assume that you are doing this and it is failing to correctly count your laps - is that the case?

If it is then how often is it failing and when you look at the activity afterwards can you see any pattern in where it is failing to count a lap or is counting too many?

As per Andy275 would also help if you posted this under Fenix 5 not under a thread for the old Garmin swim as you are more likely to get responses from Fenix 5 users there

• Just got my old Vivoactive HR replaced with a Garmin reconditioned one but it is very inaccurate recording pool distances.  Previous one was very accurate.  I've set pool length but can swim 500m plus and watch records it as 75m.  Did 2 lengths which it recorded as 0m, then did 4 which were also recorded as 0m.  I can only think back to when I first set it up I didn't do the initial 20 min walk outside to more accurately calibrate the movement sensor.  Thinking that I might have to do a complete reset and do the 20min calibration walk.