This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Swim 2?

Anyone have the Garmin Swim 2? I'm doing more and more swimming and am interested in this watch. But I also do yoga, hiking, occasional running, and strength training (but don't use any of the Garmin features that count reps, etc. I just start an activity to track time and HR).

I've read that you can run and cycle with the Swim. Can you add other activity types like yoga, walking, strength?10.0.0.0.1

• Can you add other activity types like yoga, walking, strength?

No. You have the only additional options like run, bike and cardio. All are very basic, beside of external HRM, you can not add anything more.

• Hi,
    you also have a "fitness" activity (no GPS) that you can use for indoor activities, yoga, gym,. etc.
    For walking you can use de run activity. 
    But as said by PG, all very very basic (although enough for "normal" training).

If you are mostly interested in swimming (indoor) then it is a great watch. But if not, not so...

• limbskars94, I got my Garmin Swim 2 the week before Black Friday. Like you I posted questions onto this Garmin Swim 2 Forum. I received a few replies, but in general was disappointed by the responses and the lack of answers to my very specific questions about the Swim 2 features.

As to your question, "Can you add other activity types like yoga, walking, strength?" Yes, in a way. 

My 2 major activities are Swimming (thus the purchase of the Swim 2) and either walking outside or on the elliptical in my gym. I learned on this forum that I could only use the Run tracking activity in my Swim 2. This is correct. But after I sync it with my Garmin Connect app, I can edit the activity to change it from Run to show that indeed the Time and Distance are recorded for a Walk. Similarly, I was recording my elliptical sessions as Cardio until I realized that I could change the activity to Elliptical within the Garmin Connect app.

The list of Activities available in the Garmin Connect app is long, and better stated in a different forum. But to specifically answer your question - Yoga and Strength Training are listed (as well as Hunting/Fishing).

I hope this helps. Post on this forum if you decide to purchase your Swim 2.

• This was very helpful answer. I have read your previous question in different forum and this one. And your response finally answered the question. My garmin swim 2 arrived a couple days ago and very pleased as I love sea swimming. My husband got the vivoactive4 and was a bit jealous that yoga was on his watch too as we do that together. Have seen the list of other sports/activities in the app on my phone but not sure how I change it.

Do I record the yoga session as "cardio" and then once done and it appears on my phone I can change it to yoga?

Thanks in advance 

• Yes, that's the only way. No new activity Apps are allowed and all the others on the Swim2 have GPS... 

• Yes, to what Paulo said, and your question. The Swim 2, as I now understand it, Is a mid-level Garmin watch targeted to swimming. As such, it only has 5 Activity options within the watch itself - 3 of which include GPS tracking (which is how Garmin made its name). Select Cardio Activity and it records Time and Heart Rate. Once the Activity is sync'd to Garmin Connect the user has many more options.

In the Garmin Connect app, select your Cardio activity. Then press the options (3 dots on Android) and select Edit Activity. Under Activity Type select Yoga.

9791547, I hope you like your Swim 2. My son gave me his VivoActive3HR after he purchased his Apple Watch. I enjoyed is ability to track my Walking as well as Heart Rate during sleep. Unfortunately, the first (and only time) I went swimming with it, it completely stopped working. Since it was no longer within warranty, I had to start shopping for smart watches that have the capability of tracking my activities and sleep.

• Just to make it clear. Cardio activity can be set to have GPS as well. And also, OW swim, bike and run activity can be set to have no GPS. By default cardio has no GPS set, but it is not a restriction at all.

• Thank you so much for this answer! I have spent hours trying to find this answer. I am trying to decide between the swim 2 or Apple Watch. I do enjoy using the stepper machine at the gym. Does the swim 2 record steps on the stepper machine or no because it does nota have a barometric?

• Hi, 

Do you want a watch to swimm or for other activities? If it is to swimm (also open waters), then get the Swim2. If not, get another watch, any watch...

• I mainly swim so that's why I want it. But I also do cardio with the gym machine mainly the stepper machine, so it would be nice if it tracked how many steps I did. Also when I go hiking it would be cool to track elevation change. Not sure if it has these features.