This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

HR zones for training : comparison between LT / MHR / HRR with Garmin default percentages

Hello, In Garmin you can set your heart rate zones using Maximum Heart Rate (MHR) or Heart Rate Reserve (HRR). Default percentages are based on MHR but they look more suitable for HRR. Click on the link, set your MHR and Resting Heart Rate (RHR) and check differences of beats between MHR and HRR modes with Garmin default percentages. Then, if you want, you can use my own percentages for MHR based on pace for endurance fundamental, marathon, half marathon and 10km.

Comparison MHR / HRR

Comparison LT / MHR / HRR

Cheers

• No. You can do it on a track or in a park. You have to see a doctor before doing that kind of workout.

• Thanks you all guys very much for your advices!

Today I've made my first 8km in my life, thanks to staying in 2nd and partially in the beginning of 3rd zone. It was really slow sometimes, but it was running and without any single stop. I've used Garmin default HRR calculation with max HR calculated by age formula, and felt pretty good during the whole run session. I think I'll stick with these values until I lose at least half of my overweight which is approx. 20 kg, and then will try advanced calculations based on more precise max HR and LTH.

• Having now run a couple of weeks with the LTHR-based zones, I like them better than traditional MaxHR zones. But the difference really is mostly that you loose the old Z1 (which is so low that it's quite useless for running anyway), and the new Z1 is old Z1+Z2 combined, for warming up. But what I really like is that the aerobic zone is split in two (low / high aerobic), which helps me personally a lot in keeping a suitable pace (depending on whether I'm doing a longer or shorter run). And for me, the aerobic zone Z3 (high aerobic) was extended a little higher, which also is nice as it makes the Z4 "threshold" zone smaller and really a "threshold" zone.

• Thanks for sharing the spreadsheet! I have been reading up many sources and getting myself very confused.

• great job!  one advantage of doing the max HR test sprints on a hill (even a small incline) is that it makes it more difficult (raise HR faster) without having to go as fast (easier on joints/feet).   Even a gradual hill will help.

• Setting maximum HR by age is not considered scientifically valid. There is a huge variation of individuals at the same age.