This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Forerunner 945 software version 3.15 Beta

Download 

Notes:

• For any issues that you encounter please fill out the form included in the download and attach it to an email to [email protected]. Please note that you may not get a response to the email unless we need more information on the issue you report.
  • This build contains special test code to debug an issue we are tracking for devices sometimes crashing on activity save at higher altitudes. If you should experience this issue using this beta version of software it would be greatly appreciated that you follow the Feedback Reporting document's procedures and provide the err_log.txt and RAM.txt that you should have from this crash. This should help us expedite a fix for this issue.
  • Although this software is believed to be reliable, it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.

Changes made from version 3.08 to 3.15:

• Added test code to track down issue with save at high altitude. Please see readme for beta.
  • Improvements to segment achievements
  • Improve stress readings
  • Improvements to media player
  • Improvements to phone connectivity
  • Fix blocky elevation issue
  • Improvements/fixes for Spotify
  • Fix potential device freeze on activity summary loop.
  • Improvements to headphone connectivity
  • Improvements to sensor connectivity
  • Fix backlight gesture bug 
  • Various other fixes and improvements

Installation Instructions

1. Connect your Forerunner 945 to your computer using the USB cable.
  2. Download and unzip Forerunner945_315Beta.zip. Place the GUPDATE.GCD file in the \GARMIN folder of your device's internal storage drive.
  3. In Forerunner945_315Beta, go to the RemoteSW folder. Place the GUP3114.GCD and GUP3303.GCD file in the \GARMIN\REMOTESW folder of your device's internal storage drive.
  4. Disconnect your device from the computer, approve the update on the watch, and wait for the update to finish.
  5. If you would like to revert to the last public release software, place the GUPDATE-280.GCD file in the \GARMIN folder. Rename GUPDATE-280.GCD to GUPDATE.GCD before disconnecting your device. To revert the RemoteSW, place the RemoteSW\Downgrades\GUP3114-250.GCD and RemoteSW\Downgrades\GUP-3303-360.GCD in the \GARMIN\REMOTESW folder. NOTE: If you revert to an older version of software, all of your settings will be reset to defaults.
  • I haven't more insides in Garmin than any other user here, but this would explain, why so much features don't work.

+1, all valid points you raise.

One addition: as DCR points out, the teams are divided along product lines. The menu structure on the forum should reflect this structure. From a software development perspective, this is not ideal in a complex environment we are in and that is showing what we see. With different product lines on different schedules, the coordination is very hard and leads to permanent problems. E.g. Garmin Connect Mobile releases something and synchronization on 945 breaks. 945 releases something functional and Garmin Connect is not ready yet, something breaks. A more domain oriented or functional structure would be better as the functions shared between the devices are more or less the same. So say the swimming team has to ensure that the entire value chain is working and not only one specific device and not the entire ecosystem.

That and the lack of testing.

• Does anyone know, or have an idea of, the battery drain with PacePro active?

• No fix for the OHR all-day readings - the sensor readings are still just as bad.

Footpod (Stryd) pace/distance completely off since installation of v3.15 beta. I ran my usual 12km today, and noticed instantly that pace was off. When I reached my usual turn-around point at 6km, watch showed 5.68 (~5,5% less).

Does anyone know if I can just install a lower beta version (3.08) with these same instructions?

• Former Member Hello!

Are you working on improving sleep analysis? I personally thing it's very bad.

I spend a lot of time awake in bed (not Garmin's fault...), and the watch petty much just detects my time in bed. If I get up to get a glass of water or something, it shows me as awake for a couple of minutes and then directly back to REM or deep sleep for example.

I hear from people owners of previous versions (FR935) that "it was better before".

Any chance this is going to be improved?

F.

• Yes. Just put the 3.08 beta files in the appropriate folders. 

• thanks. I guess you've tried this before? Do you know if the watch will reset to factory defaults if I revert to v3.08 beta? I see the instructions state that in the section about reverting to the public (v2.80) release...

• Garmin has to introduce some Quality Gates and Guidelines regarding risk based testing

They have had YEARS of dishing out live beta tests in the most unintuitive way possible.

Posting a link on a forum to a beta update that not nearly enough owners use or go to, only to snag a handful that do download it; but have no system in place to compel those that did update actually to pass data onto the beta team. And even then, to what level of concise data does the user send on to the beta team to check or address, makes for an imperfect process.

The simple answer would be for Garmin to introduce a user opt-in beta testing program with a system in place that watch data is uploaded to the team via Garmin Connect or Express. And by data, I mean code and logs, and those should also have a way for the team to question the user about specific issues they see in the system. There should also be a Beta app and or/ express program in place for those that choose to be beta testers (or at least an internal switch to turn on beta testing data funneling).

For the sake of the topic and not to hijack the thread, I'll stop here, but I think we can all agree how Garmin goes along with introducing content/fixes is poor.

• It has been like that ever since I got my first garmin device, they always push some really buggy firmwares on early devices and expect the consumer to do the testing.

I'm really frustrated with my 945 so far. Build quality is poor, had to exchange it for the faulty button and now the pulse ox and sleep tracking are no working....

• Same here but not with Footpod, only GPS, pace and distance waaaay off!

So reverted to 3.08, put the 3.08 file as always.

• I can confirm, the GPS it's very bad respect the 3.08, my last run was around 8% off in the lenght, the pace reflected the GPS erroneous readings.