This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

ClimbPro makes no sense (for cycling)

This feature looked very intersting (on paper) so it was one othe things that convinced me to upgrade from 935 to 945 as I use the watch both for running an cycling. However after some months of use I am kind of dissapointed. The feature is pretty useless because it devides the course in random climbs. Sometimes it just extend the actual climb way beyond the summit or in a extreme situation it considered a 50 miles course as a whole climb just becase the last 5 miles were a real climb. In other cases takes a several miles segment with up and downhils and tagged as a climb. I tried to create courses both in Strava and GC and it was the same. I do not know what I am doing wrong or it is just another uselless feature to add to the list of useless features packed in the FR945.

Thanks for reading

• To each there own but I use it on my edge 530 and actually kind of like it.

• I noted what you say, but not always; sometimes it happens, but mainly I'm so happy for this feature. It could be a good idea to control the uphills manually in GC before upload to the watch, and the possibilities to change some distance, or start or finish.

• My guess is a kind of issue with the FR945. Same course pretty neat climbs on my brother´s 830, no sense climbs on my FR945. As I wanted to use FR945 as a "bike computer" this was one of the feature that made me to upgrade from 935 to 945. Very dissapointed so far.

• I have a big issue with ClimbPro: the courses generated by Garmin Connect have completely unreasonable data for elevation gain and loss, making the function useless... the same gpx file gives accurate data on other platforms like Strava. Dud you experience anything similar?

• I have used ClimbPro on both my Forerunner 945 and my Edge 530. I love it, and I try to use it every time i ride outside.

It's far from perfect, experiencing the same issues you listed above, but good most of the time for me. ClimbPro makes perfect sence for cycling.

ClimbPro is still kind of new, and will improve in the years to come, I'm sure of it.

• I think that with ClimbPro you can bypass the Garmin Connect's bad elevation correction data.

Copy the .gpx which has good elevation to \GARMIN\NEWFILES then the Course will have proper elevation and then the "View Climbs" on the course at least will look as proper.

• I am also trying to create a course using Strava. It seems very similar to GC.

• Thanks, that's a good solution. Unfortunately I need to connect the watch to the PC which is something I almost never do. I'll start doing it more frequently.  Another solution I found is to use the Strava CIQ app. I'll try both soon.

• Yes, that's big downside, but at least there's some way to get proper elevation to courses.

But then if watches won't have tuning ability for PacePro that workaround won't work with it.

We'll see, but as Garmin is adding more features needing proper elevation data, I hope people will complain enough that they will start using better elevation data.

• You're right. I was very surprised to be the only one noticing this problem. Hopefully now more and more people will have the same problem and Garmin will listen.