This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Forerunner 935 outdoor swim performance

Hi,

After months of procrastinating, I finally bought a Forerunner 935 to track my outdoor swimming.  I normally tracked my swim using my phone and an application called FitoTrack in my swim buoy but I wanted to treat myself to a better experience. I made my choice for a Forerunner 935 based on information found on the Garmin website and price point.

I have been swimming (freestyle) with the watch over the last 10 days and have generally been disappointed with the performance of the watch in outdoor swim mode. From my analysis of the GPX tracks and comparing them with what my phone records the watch is basically not able to capture enough points to give an accurate estimation of the distance. This is clearly visible in the image below . The blue line is garmin and the red line my phone. It is visible that not enough points are captured and in this case, the distance is about 10% off

10% off is a lot for me as this makes me look even slower.

Over the next couple of days, I tried to improve the accuracy. I enabled GPS + GALILEO en also disabled smart tracking ( Save position every second) but this all so far did not result in a better performance.

For my last test, I have put the watch in my swim buoy. This had the drawback that the swimming times include the time it takes me to get into the water but also that the last experiment did not result in improved accuracy.  Is what I am experiencing .. normal for Garmin watches?

Do I need to return the watch or is there something I can do?