This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

GPS battery drain

Hello.

Is it true that GPS version 2.70 drain more battery than GPS version 2.50 ? Have you noticed something about that ?

And, do you think v. 2.70 is more accurate than v. 2.50 ?

Thanks

• Yes, I experience more battery usage when I use gps after about gps version 2.50. I don't notice any accuracy improvements. I always had quite decent gps tracks with my 935. 

With gps activities, I get about 10 - 12 hours of usage. Previous this was 20+ hours.

Garmin would be using really lousy batteries if degeneration would cause the capacity to be halved with about 200 chargecycles. Given Garmins reputation of producing buggy firmwares, I'm not surprised when it is caused by a software glitch.

• Thanks for you reply. With GPS 2.50 my watch drain 6% of battery per hour with GPS/Glonass every second. What about with GPS 2.70 ?

• For me, it’s just over 10% per hour with gps/glonass or gps/galileo (in my experience those 2 don’t differ much in battery usage)

• My 4 years old  935 drains about 5% an hour when running with heart rate on, GPS "normal" and data recording "intelligent".
    My watch is not connected to my mobile phone via bluetooth and backlight is on for 4 seconds on lowest level.
    I use a standard watchface without seconds displayed.

Forerunner 935 (from 2017)

Software Version: 21.00

GPS: 2.70
    Wi-Fi: 2.40
    CIQ: 3.1.8
    BLE/ANT/SNS: 6.94 (Sensor Hub)
    WHR: 20.03.31

• this is encouraging. as i posted in a separate thread, i was looking to see if anyone has had no issues with the latest FW and it seems you are experiencing battery drain similar to my watch running FW13.30 (i do have bluetooth connected). gives me hope that the latest FW and GPS aren't necessarily battery hogs.

• I'm not sure, but i think Bluetooth and/or Wlan connections drain more battery than GPS Tracking. Especially when the BT/WLAN connection got lost and the Device tries to reconnect. That drains a lot of power. I only connect my watch to Wlan after my workout to sync data.