This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Running Cadence significantly inaccurate

Hi There,

I am using Garmin 935 for my run sessions. It was recording my cadences perfectly for around 1 to 1.5 years (range 170-185 SPM) since I bought it, however lately from around 1.5 months it is showing inaccurate cadences of just around 100-120 SPM when worn on the left hand. 

When worn on the right hand, it again shows the correct running cadence. Even the cadences on my Tickr X HR monitor (when worn during my run sessions) ranges correctly of around 170-185 whereas on the watch when worn on the left hand it doesn't record it properly.

My running form has not undergone any significant change that may cause such huge variation. Plus when worn on the right hand it shows perfectly. 

Any help to correct the issue would be highly appreciated since running with watch on the right hand is not at all comfortable.   

is running cadences detected from the hand movement or the steps pounding on ground?

• My watch count steps like crazy when I'm sitting still petting my cat, so I suspect hand movement is used/enough for detecting cadans. 

Do you wear a telephone with an armband on your left arm?

• Yes i do carry a phone and it's always inside my pocket. But I don't record anything in my mobile so it's only the watch which is getting used for recording run data. 

• If your phone is not in an armband around your arm then that's not a possible difference between left and right.

Must say, most of the times I'm wearing a cheststrap with running dynamics, so don't know if there is a difference measuring cadans with left and right. 

• Had you also changed the wrist to „left“ in User Settings before you started to wear the watch on the left wrist?

• Changing the wrist you wear your watch on in the settings is only for the raise to switch on backlight, afaik.

• Got a similar issue, started to happen on my shiny new FR 955 after a month, since I upgraded to a firmware v 12.23

• I had the same problem with my Fenix 5 Plus as well. Garmin couldn’t tell me why such discrepancy between the data from the left versus right wrist. 

Upgraded to Fenix 6 Pro, and still the same issue.

Now, to get around, I am simply putting it on my right wrist during the runs. Pretty annoying but works.