This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

I renamed a FIT file and now it's gone. Is there any way to find it?

I renamed a FIT file and now it's gone. Is there any way to find it?

One of my FIT factivity files seemed to be corrupted. Instead of waiting for a fix (which I later found) I renamed the file by simply adding an "x" to the end of it. But when I resynced the watch, the file didn't show up in the activities folder. It doesn't show up on my watch either. 

Pretty sure this was one of my not-so-smartest moves.

Any way to find that file?

And no. I did not write down the old name. 

SMH at myself.

• Maybe one of the sync tasks is to remove odd file names such as this. You should be able to connect your Garmin charging/data USB cable to a Windows computer and open the \Garmin\Activity folder in Windows File Explorer. All your activities are in there, unless you deleted it. Try a search on the entire \Garmin directory and subdirectory.

Also, if on Windows check the folder options that you don't have any "hide" options checked or "Don't show" selected.

• Hi Seilogramp. That's where I renamed it, in the Activities folder on my PC. I disconnected the watch then reconnected it and it was no longer either on my watch or in the Activities folder on my PC. I did not delete it. I'm confounded and have learned never to rename a file.

• That's where I renamed it, in the Activities folder on my PC

Should be the Activity folder on your Garmin. Just wanted to make sure you weren't searching on your PC. Sounds like you just need to redo the activity. Blush

• "Redo the activity?" As in rerun the 9 miles? Guess I'm not making myself clear. Let me start over.

I ran 9 miles. I tried to sync my watch. It didn't want to sync. I got a sync error.

I looked on my watch and the 9 mile run was there. I looked at my PC (the folder that is showing up since my Garmin is connected) and the 9 mile run was there. I looked at the Garmin website and the 9 mile run WAS NOT there. It had not synced.

It dawned on me that perhaps the 9 mile run file was corrupted. I thought (this was my mistake) if I just renamed it (typing on my PC in the Garmin Activities folder I can see there), the watch would sync and perhaps I could use one of the corrupt file websites to fix the file.

Don't ask me why I didn't think to fix the corrupt file first. That was a mistake.

So I renamed it by simply adding an "x" to the end of the file name (typing on my PC.) And (another mistake) I did not first write down the name of the file. It never dawned on me that it would disappear. 

Imagine the name was ABC999.FIT. I renamed it ABC999x.FIT.

While I was trying to sync the watch, my computer started to act odd. The screen flashed and so I unplugged the watch. I thought maybe the connection cable was bad or dirty. I tried to clean the port and the cable. Then I tried to sync again.

This time, the watch said it synced just fine. I got my hopes up. I looked at Garmin website and still the 9 mile run was NOT there. Now I looked at the watch again and the 9 mile run was GONE. And I looked at the Activities folder I could see on my PC (yes this is on the watch, but I'm looking on my PC) and the 9 miler file was GONE.

I did not delete it from either directly from my watch OR via my PC. So where did it go?