This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin dropped support for the "Tides" app!?

https://apps.garmin.com/en-CA/apps/8ef5a2ac-f87a-4001-bf47-439543ca4eea

I had to reset my watch to try fix firmware issues and when I went to install "Garmin Tides" again, it wasn't coming up in search results in the app. Finding it via Google, I see now that the FR935, and in fact, no other Forerunners are included in the Compatible Devices list. Not cool Garmin. It's one thing to not give new software features to existing devices, it's another to go and remove existing and working functionality. Hopefully this is just an oversight that can be quickly resolved.

• no other Forerunners are included

It doesn't help you out, but it's still on the 945.  Every compatible listed watch (including my 945) already has this feature included with their maps, so it's really unnecessary.  Where it became useful was with watches without maps.  I had the widget installed on my backup 935.  Makes no sense whatsoever.

Update:  Apparently, the Tides feature is only available on those watches using North American maps. That still doesn't explain why it is no longer available for the 935.

• Thanks for the context, very interesting.

• You are right. I had noticed this few days ago. Garmin, what's your goal? You want to sell new watches while the FR935 works well?

• Very irritating that they restrict apps and activities to certain models that seem like they could function on others. I feel this is a poor sales technique. 

• DC Rainmaker made a similar point the other day.  When doing his annual review with Desfit on Youtube he mentioned how the new Garmin Gamer watch is just a reskin of the Instinct with a few apps exclusive to it.  Kind of ridiculous.