This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Chemical Smell and Skin Rash/Burn from Heart Rate Monitor

Hello,

I've been using my Garmin tri heart rate monitor since January of this year and recently it started to give me a silver dollar size rash right in the center of the unit. The first two work outs it happened I didn't think much of it, but then the rash started to get worse and when I smelled the unit it didn't smell of sweat or BO it had a chemically/ozone odor to it. I replaced the battery and washed out (most) of the chemical smell but the rash continued to come back, so I had to discontinue using the sensor. Visually nothing looks off about the sensor, it's just the odor and the rash for now.

Has anyone else had this issue with the unit and is there anything I can do to solve this potentially?

• Hey, I’ve had my garmin tri HR monitor for a little over 5 months and it’s also been a week since I’ve started getting rashes in the middle of my chest. The rashes hurt loads when I shower and I’m considering stop using it for this reason. Also there’s this really bad smell that is annoying. Did you manage to figure out a solution for this problem?

• I’m also experiencing the same problem. Did you find any solution ? 

• Unfortunately I haven't yet. I have my next long run this Sunday (It only happens during my long runs) and I am planning on using a compeed sticker to see if it helps. Last sunday I used a normal bandaid but it didn't help. I also read on some other forum that a person used a sponge and someone else used a mouse pad piece to cover the areas that cause the irritation and it worked. I'll try every solution and see if anything works. If not I guess I'll try a different HR strap as Garmin doesn't seem to care for their customers (I've seen a lot of complaints and no solutions). I'll try and report back on Sunday using the compeed sticker.

• So today I did a 19km run using compeed stickers where I usually get the irritation and this time it didn’t happen! However I can’t be spending 9 euros per pack each time so I’m planning to try other solutions as well like some kind of sponge or the mouse pad solution I saw in the other forum. I hope this helps.

• Hello, no I haven't found a solution. I called Garmin and told them there is a chemical smell coming from the unit and that some sort of gel seems to be leaking out of the battery casing. They sent me a new one but after 9 months the same thing started happening. They asked about my cleaning routine and if the rash first appeared under the arm. I explained to them this is only happening to my skin under the battery unit and regardless of the level of exertion. 

I'm still waiting on a new unit to be sent to me so I can't complain about customer support on this one, the problem is why does this keep happening?

• Hey there, I have the same issue. It happend to me with three separate straps. The first one started smelling and causing rashes after a few months, Garmin replaced it without asking questions. The smell is really strong, like burnt electronics, coming from the sensor itself. However there is no visual clue indicating what it is exactly, even upon opening the battery compartment. Then same situation with the replacement one after a few weeks. That one got replaced as well, however this time they also asked me about my cleaning routines. Got replaced as well in the end, but now this one starts smelling as well. Also getting a rash every time. When asking Garmin about it, I didn't get a proper reply. My cleaning routine is rather simple, I just hold the strap under running, lukewarm water after each workout and hang it to dry. Every now and then use some gentle soap/detergent, but that's about it. My workaround to prevent the rashes is to wrap some clingfilm around the sensor (not the pads on the bottom) before each workout and remove it after. Cheap solution for now, but for a product costing up to 100€ having that strong smell and causing severe rashes: not happy! :(

• This has been exactly my same experience with maybe only one less hrt monitor than you. I rinse the hrt every time after a work out and sometime wash with soap and water. After a few month terrible burnt electronics smell and serious red rashes over the battery case. My concern is the unit itself might be leaking some of the battery acid, but I can't confirm.

Given the cost of the unit this is extremely frustrating. 

• Hey I also have the same problem but instead of cling film I cut a mousepad and placed it under the sensor! It worked for a few weeks however now I started getting rushes from this as well. Now I not only get rushes under the central part but also on the side where the hook is, so it makes me think that it’s me that i have a really sensitive skin! In any case I’m also very disappointed with this purchase as it costs a lot of money! I asked other friends and that have skin problems and they all told me to go with a polar verity sense that you place on your arm instead of the chest and from their testing it works equally well! I’ll give it a try as I’m fed up with HR chest straps.

• @ It being the battery leaking was my first thought as well. However upon opening the device to replace the battery, there's no visual clue as to what is causing the smell. The battery is fine (did it with one of my returned straps and did it just now with my current one, as I got the message the battery is running low) and also everything else looks ok. No leaking capacitor or such, nothing out of the ordinary. I wanted to open the device further for investigation but it seems it's not possible without breaking it.

I had the impression upon opening the battery compartment that the smell got more intense and came from within. On the other hand I'm not sure if it can be caused by something on the inside. After all it's waterproof, so no liquid should be able to enter or in this case leave the unit? Maybe it's some sort of glue or such that starts dissolving after a few weeks/months of use? I don't know...

Either way, it's really frustrating for the price and obviously a certain health risk (severe rashes due to chemicals?) which I think is absolutely unacceptable. Hope Garmin will figure this out and provide a solution for the product and us affected customers. Otherwise my next HRM strap will certainly not be a Garmin one.

• Hope Garmin will figure this out

You need to contact Garmin Support directly to remove any 'hope' from the equation.