This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How long do you expect your Forerunner to last?

I’ve had my Garmin Forerunner 935 for exactly 2 years to

the day. Unfortunately, two days ago I hopped out of the pool, saved my swim, went home, put my watch on charge and was greeted with the Blue Triangle of Death. 

I have tried all the common suggestions for a hard reset/factory restore with no luck. It also won’t connect to the computer. 

My previous watch was a vivoactive. It also only lasted 2 years. I can’t sustain buying a watch every two years. 

Is this just bad luck, or is this normal?

• Thanks for your responses everyone. I’ve been waiting for two weeks for Garmin to respond to my support ticket. Hopefully I hear something soon. My faith in the products and support is diminishing. 

• How did things turn out?  Did you hear anything?  My 3 year old 935 also dropped some functionality: wrist heart rate sensor, step counter, bluetooth connection to phone, foot pod, HRM.  on the bright side the GPS still works.

• Garmin replaced it with a refurbished watch.

• This was a helpful thread.  I am about 7 years in the Fitbit ecosystem, and have replaced a device every 18-30 months.  always outside standard warranty, and this time just outside the extended warranty.  I also am tired of replacing a $200 device every two years.  It's looking like garmin might be a little better, but similar price per month durability.  

• tl;dr Devices of different brands should last at least 4 years, otherwise it's crap. Don't spend money on crap.

My first proper running watch was a Suunto T3c. Got heartrate via a cheststrap and pace via a footpod. 

After 4 years replaced it with a Suunto Ambit 3. Not because it was broken, but because I wanted gps. Got heartrate via a cheststrap and pace via gps. 

After 4 years I replaced it with a TomTom runner 2. Not because the Suunto was broken, but I wanted 1 device for heartrate, pace and music. The tomtom turned out to be rubish. 

So 4 years ago I bought a foreunner 935 and a iPod nano. Still need a cheststrap because OHR doesn't work for me. The forerunner 935 is slghtly better than the Suunto Ambit 3. The foreunner can vibrate and has better batterylife than the Ambit 3. Furthermore, the 935 is full of gimmick features that are not very usefull, or not accurate, or don't work at all. 

But since newer watches only add more gimmick features I don't have to spend money on a new watch as long as the battery of my 935 is still ok (current reduced to 10 hours of gps usage)

• My VivoActive 4 lasted right on 2 years. Top 1/3 of the touchscreen no longer works, watch turns off randomly and when I try to start a run with music going. Support was engaged until I told them it was 2 years old, then they ghosted me. My wife was luckier(?) hers died while in warranty with similar issues and they replaced it. I wore mine pretty much 24/7 and only charged it when it needed it. I agree a two year life makes for an expensive watch. 

• Interesting. Did it get replaced for free? My 935 was out of warranty and just after 2 years of considerable usage, the altimeter started giving garbage numbers all of a sudden. A refurb version offered, but at some cost that I could not justify and so have not done so.

• Update, Garmin did get back to me and replaced it with a refurbished watch that's working perfectly. 

• I just realised that my FR935 is turning 5 years old in a few weeks time. So for me it has held up great. I have used it for tracking all my cycling activities until last year when I bought an Edge device so the battery is not drained very often anymore.

The only downside is that I would really like a newer device but this one needs to die first :D

• Mine is also almost 5 years old. The heartrate sensor is cracked but still fine for resting heartrate (optical heartrate doesn't work with me during workouts, but that's not only on this watch). The battery is down to max 10 hours op gps, so I have to charge it almost twice a week. Turned of the barometer, because it's not very reliable. Other than that it's still fine. The case is a bit shiny due to wear but not to much real scarfs. I always used a screenprotector but only because that looks better.

But I have really no urge at all to spend money on a new device. I looked at fr 945(lte) and fenix 6 and 7. There isn't a single new feature that will make me faster or train in a better way. Maps would be nice, trackmode would be nice. But all others are just more numbers to collect.

A bigger screen in the same size watch would be an improvement. Better bluetooth connectivity would be nice. Less bugs in the firmware. A replaceble battery would be a huge thing for me. Other than that. Nah, I can live with my current watch for some time and spend my money on better things than garmin markering.