This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How long do you expect your Forerunner to last?

I’ve had my Garmin Forerunner 935 for exactly 2 years to

the day. Unfortunately, two days ago I hopped out of the pool, saved my swim, went home, put my watch on charge and was greeted with the Blue Triangle of Death. 

I have tried all the common suggestions for a hard reset/factory restore with no luck. It also won’t connect to the computer. 

My previous watch was a vivoactive. It also only lasted 2 years. I can’t sustain buying a watch every two years. 

Is this just bad luck, or is this normal?

• My 935 is 2.5 years old and works super/duper. I assume It depends how much and how hard you use it.

• Mine will be 3 years old in April and I've worn it 24/7 ever since I got it. I've never had any of the problems that have been reported such as cracked HR sensors or altimeter issues. Maybe I've just been lucky.

• Mine will be 3 years old in April.

Garmins software is full of bugs and most features are just gimmicks but that's Garmin and not age related.

The basics still work fine: battery life is ok, even with 8 - 10 hours of training each week. gps fix is still fast and accurate enough. screen is still readable in all circumstances. The clock gives the right time and it wakes me every morning at 6:30. And my workouts are send to strava.

Wear it 24/7. Even in the shower and during swimming. There are some fine cracks in the hr sensor. So far it still works (or better said it reports heartrate. It's never been accurate for me)

I expect it to last for a couple of years more.

• Mine will also be 3 years old in April and like the others I wear it 24/7 and use for swim/bike/run between 6-10 hrs a week.  It’s still working as well as the day I got it and would expect it to last at least until the next gen is announced.  Even at that time I’d hope/expect it to be in good shape to resell when I inevitably upgrade.

Your situation sounds like a bummer :(. I’ve had many of the middle tier watches Garmin has offered since the 305 and they have mostly met my expectations.  Once or twice I dealt with issues but recollection is that Garmin remedied my situation without much trouble in those cases.

• Mine is approximately the same age and works approximately the same super/duper. 

• and would expect it to last at least until the next gen is announced.

You missed it. That was the 945 :) 

• Indeed, I guess I should have been more clear.  I didn't mean next gen of the 935 but instead the next gen at the time of posting.  For one of the first times I wasn't drawn enough by the enhancements from 935 to 945 to justify the cost to upgrade.  I like seeing some of the enhancements as of late (Swim2 features, fenix 6 features being added to the 945) but now it's "old enough" that I am likely waiting for whatever comes next to decide on the next upgrade.

I especially did like the slightly larger screen (reduced bezel) of the fenix 6, and was tempted by the 6x as it seems to be getting thinner/smaller than the earlier generations (i.e. fenix 3 era).

• Ironically shortly after posting to this thread about how well my device has worked, I performed an activity and noted 0 elevation gain.  I live in a flat area, but reviewing the temperature and elevation plot as well as barometer during idle time seems to indicate I now have a bad device.

I guess I never noted a clear expectation on timeline, but ~5 years feels like where my mind would put my expectation (without hard failure or serious functionality loss).  Unfortunately it seems mine didn't make 3 - will see what support can do to help.

• I could post exactly the same words. I too have had watches since the 305 and apart from a couple of issues they’ve all worked as expected. The only time I had to change a watch was when the 310XT started losing time when powered off. Local retailer came to the party and swapped out two 310Xts.

• I've had mine for just over two years and wear it every single day.  I love it and hope it lasts for many more years, as I don't want to face the prospect (or cost!) of having to replace this nearly perfect machine.