This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Significant increase in calories burnt after 15.10 update

Hi all,

anyone noticed this too? Since the software update I burn significantly more calories, both over the whole day as well as in training.

My routine, training and lifestyle hasn't changed and I have had the Forerunner 935 for over 1.5 years now, so enough data to rely on.

Since the last update I easily burn 500 calries more per day. And I burn significantly more calries doing the same training routines.

This happened from 1 day to the next and I can only suspect it's crept in with the software update. It is very noticable.

When I train with HRM (the Tri version) I also notice that I seem to be holding very high heart rates quite easily in training, unlike before. Like I can go for long intervals at 160 to 170 when I should really be gasping for air if my HR were really that high.

Or alternatively, if I could hold such high rates with relative comfort I would be so fit I shouldn't be burning so many calories doing so! So either way it doesn't add up :)

I always thought that my 935 overcalculated in any case, maybe 10 to 15% too much, but now it just got silly. If I really burnt that much I'd be a skinny lightweight :)

I have gone from 3000 calries daily on average to 3500.

I have gone from 650 calories for a mixed hour long workout to 850. Usually I mix cardio with functional training and aim to keep HR at a fairly high rate throughout..

All of this overnight. At the same time my VO2 level (48) has remained stable and my training load is optimal as always.

Anyone noticed this too ?

Cheers

Chris

• Yes I noticed it too. Since the update, the actives calories are really high ! For example, today was a quiet day, just walking the dog 30 minutes and I burned more then 1000 calories... it don’t make sense !

• Yes I saw a marked increase on Dec 19 just after the update. I also saw average daily stress increase significantly at the same time. 

I am assuming the two issues are related to some issue introduced with HR measurement. I hope they fix it soon since the current measurements are way off and not useful.

• Yes, they completely broke the step adjusted calories count with update 15.x The regular activities are ok, but it double counts the calories and messes up everything. 

Example: a one hour run burns 700kcal. Garmin now adds on top of that the ~300kcal from the 10k steps from the run. Hopefully they fix that quickly, it's very annoying.

• This is really strange. I have the opposite problem. Today I did a 30 minute bike ride. Both Trainerroad, my indoor bike app and my gamin said that I burned 270 Calories. Yet my active calories under"my day" were only 112. It makes no sense!!!!

• Yes I have had crazy high calorie burnage. I'm 40 and female. I did aprox 15k steps yesterday and earned a record 2000 calories burned. I did a 5km treadmill run and burned a whopping 340 calories.  I hope they fix this issue asap!

• Yes, I noticed the same issue with steps counter. Currently calories burned during walk are doubled. Activities like running or cycling are ok.

• You might want to tell tech support about it. The more people tell them there's an issue, the faster they might fix it.

• Also seeing this with my Fenix 5 since the 15.10 software update.

On comparable days before and after the update, the active calories calculated is more than quadrupled (what used to be like 376 active calories is now greater than 1500).

I have contacted customer support via email, will see what they say.

• Did you get any feedback?

• Yes, same here. I was already beginning to wonder if maybe my HR was elevated because of some health issue.

My normal daily routine (commute by bike + some walking around) went up from around 5-700 Calories to 1000+ Calories per day. 

I'm not sure what to believe?