This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

No "Calibrate & Save" option after treadmill run

I did a 6 mile treadmill running activity today for the first time in months and when I stopped the activity there was no "Calibrate & Save" option. I scrolled through all the choices and it just wasn't there. Is this a defect in the version 14.10 firmware or am I missing something? I used a Garmin Foot Pod and an HRM-Tri strap during the activity. The distance was only slightly off but still I'd like to be able to calibrate it.

• same issue here!!  very annoying

• Has anyone figured out the issue? I’ve been having the same one!!!

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to sammhale

are you using a footpod ?

when yes

like for the FR645 Garmin could have changed the calibrate procedures for the FR935

That's correct, as the 645 will not allow for the Save and Calibrate option when using a footpod. 

happy & safe sporting

• Yes I am using a foot pod. However I have the forerunner 245 music and the fenix 5s and do not have the calibrate and save option on either of them...so did garmin get rid of it on all watches when using a footpod?

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to sammhale

a search in the FAQ reports this

How Does the Treadmill Calibration Feature Work on My Garmin Watch?

When running indoors on a treadmill, the final distance reported from your watch may not match what is displayed on the treadmill. This can be caused by the make, model, or calibration of the treadmill. Devices that offer a treadmill calibration feature will allow you to calibrate the watch’s Treadmill profile to your specific treadmill. 

Devices that offer this feature will have an option to ‘Save and Calibrate’ the distance after an activity. This option is available once the watch has detected a distance of 1 mile or 1.5 kilometers. After selecting ‘Save and Calibrate’ the watch allows you to input the distance reported by the treadmill. This will calibrate the watch to improve the distance accuracy for future runs at a similar pace. This feature will not correct or adjust any lap data that was recorded during the activity prior to calibrating (pace/speed per lap, average heart rate per lap, calories per lap, etc).

NOTE: This feature is only for calibrating the accelerometer in the watch. The option to 'Save and Calibrate' will not be available if you are using a foot pod (for foot pod calibration see How Do I Calibrate the Foot Pod?).

How do I recalibrate this feature?

Steps to recalibrate may vary.  We suggest that you refer to your owner's manual for specific instructions. 

Tips to further improve accuracy

The treadmill calibration feature will only calibrate the accelerometer for the Treadmill activity profile. It is recommended that you also calibrate the accelerometer by recording outdoor GPS activities.  Additional tips include:

• Do not hold onto a railing while running.  This will result in improper distance measurement on the watch

• For interval training on a treadmill, it is recommended to also perform interval workouts outdoors using a GPS profile to record your workout.

happy & safe sporting

• There is still a defect in firmware version 15.10. The "Save & Calibrate" option doesn't appear when you stop a treadmill run activity recorded using a foot pod. Today I did a structured workout and the treadmill reported a distance of 3.77 miles whereas my Garmin reported only 3.47 miles. So not a huge discrepancy but still annoying. Based on my known paces by heart rate I'm certain the Garmin distance was too short.

Will Garmin ever fix this and allow calibration by entering the correct distance at the end of an activity, or do we just have to live with poor accuracy?

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to nradov

you can calibrate your footpod in the sensor menu

happy & safe sporting

• Thanks I am aware of that but it doesn't really help. Without a "Calibrate & Save" option the activity is still saved with the wrong distance. Currently I have Auto Calibrate enabled on the foot pod sensor and I don't want to turn that off because then the accuracy will get screwed up for my outdoor runs.

I think part of the problem is that the foot pod has only a single Calibration Factor. There should probably be separate Calibration Factors for Run and Treadmill activities.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to nradov

ok Slight smile

I think part of the problem is that the foot pod has only a single Calibration Factor. There should probably be separate Calibration Factors for Run and Treadmill activities.

in the old days one made a list of footpod correction factors

for any given activity you chose a known correction factor from that list before starting (in sensor settings)

fwiw, I never used auto calibrate with Garmin footpod's

am using a stryd now Wink

happy & safe sporting

• I'm not using any accessories (just my Fenix 5) and it seems totally random if the "Calibrate and Save" option is available or not after a treadmill workout.  The first few times I thought maybe I inadvertently did my treadmill workout in "Run" and not "Treadmill", but no I was in a treadmill workout.  Whenever it doesn't give that option I just let the activity upload to my phone, then edit that activity on the app to correct the distance.  Annoying, but at least there's a work around.