This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Hrm-run Running dynamics data for another activity like skiing ?

Bonjour 

Is it possible to view this data ?

Merci

• I don't know if you'd get the metrics if you selected the skiing app, but out of curiosity, which of the six metrics would you find useful while skiing?

• In fact I started cross country skating and I would be interested in the frequency of steps and the time of support on each ski I noticed that already the watch does not count the steps when I am in the activity cross-country skiing, I do not know if it is deactivated it will be necessary that I cheat the next time taking the activity race Unfortunately the snow has already melted it will be necessary that I wait ...

• HRM-Run running dynamics won't work for cross country skiing.

• OK thank you I can see but I can not help wondering how these sensors work and if there are specific ones for cross-country skiing maybe a hrm-skiing?

• The HRM-Run sensor has accelerometers that measure the movement of your torso and then some advanced algorithms translate this to the running dynamics metrics. Technically, a similar sensor could be applied to skiing (although not necessarily worn on torso), given that appropriate algorithms for processing raw acceleration data would be developed, and in fact some time ago there was rumour that garmin worked on a skiing-dynamics sensor. But so far no such piece of equipment exists.

• Ok thanks

another question if I make a copy of the race profile and I rename it ski or other activity could I see all the stats of the hrm run anyway?

• Unlikely. Please note, that running dynamics don't even work if you start a running activity on your watch, but instead of running you walk. If the sensor thinks that the movement pattern is not similar to running, then it won't provide running dynamics data. And even if you somehow manage to trick the sensor into thinking that you're actually running, the numbers you'd see would not make any sense.

• Polar's H10 is capable of providing the necessary accelerometer data to calculate skiing dynamics on top of running, and supports both Ant+ and BLE. However, you'll need the app RaceFox (about 120$/yr) for it because Polar lacks the resources to develop these kind of things in-house.

On a different note, however: I've been using the HRM-Run for years, and tried RaceFox with the H10. I fail to see how such minuscule movement at the sternum can lead to accurate data when it comes to running dynamics, especially stuff like foot drag (negative acceleration of your tibia) or GCB where any crooked or cambered road or not perfectly centered strap leads to significantly skewed values. Let alone running on a track...

• I fail to see how such minuscule movement at the sternum can lead to accurate data when it comes to running dynamics

You're absolutely right. After using the HRM-Tri strap for 2 years, and then the RD pod for a year, I can tell that all those running dynamics are bollocks, without any significant training value.

any crooked or cambered road

Running dynamics are not suited to work on anything but flat hard surface.

not perfectly centered strap leads

I have reasons to believe that the algorithms can compensate for that to a certain degree.