This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Track Accuracy :(

I am having issues with the accuracy while running in the Track and I cannot recall if I have them after of before version 13.30,

The GPS is most of the times way off !!!

8km in 1st lane (400m) and the distance measured was over 8200m !!!

Intervals of 800m, https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3950936840, again in the 1st lane, and the GPS measured 830m !!! and many many other activities in the track.

Usually I have it on GPS only.. I have tried also the other two options but with no significant difference. I would rather say that GPS only is the most accurate.. 

Why I haven't mentioned it so far? I really don't know. But today I saw the post for the new software version which doesn't include anything regarding GPS accuracy and I wanted to see if it just me or there are more people with issues in the track. If not, probably I should contact Garmin for a faulty GPS .

Thanks, 

John

• I always get 1020-1030 m measured for 2.5 laps on 400 m track (also with all previous FW releases and with other devices (like FR 720xt). I think the accuracy of 2-3% is just due to the technology limitation. I noticed the accuracy is even higher for a street run with good satellite contact compared to the track. 

• Using a GPS device for track running has never been a good use of the GPS. Even with 1 sec recording you're still looking at straight line plots of 3 to 4m possibly more depending on pace. GPS does not track in curves. You need a footpod to get better accuracy.

The reality is, and always has been is that getting 30m discrepancy <4% is good, in fact it's very good. Do some reading around GPS accuracy focussing on wrist worn consumer devices.

• What I don't understand is the GPS accuracy varies by factors other than GPS. If I run a circular track, I get less distance than if I walk the same track. Perhaps this is due to the 1-second intervals. It makes a little sense that running would cut more corners than walking would. Still, consistently, week after week, GPS is lousy for non-straight runs. I don't even run very fast, but faster than I walk.

• It's simple, you cover more ground in the 1-second that you run than when you walk. That means you end up with longer straight line between each data point. The GPS tracks a series of straight lines around a curve. The faster you run the longer the lines and the fewer points around a curve.

• This "problem" has always been there, it's the nature of GPS technology. Think about it, the satellites are 20000 kms away ! Using a footpod will help if you calibrate it to the pace of that particular session...but it's not worth it. On a track it's best to use a GPS watch as a "stopwatch with a logging feature" for later analysis.

• I am coming back to this with some examples this time. I ran with a friend that he has a Fenix 5.. he is using always autolap.. I have stopped using autolap when running at first lane in order to have correct recordings. 

he is always almost correct in every km.. 

the first two we worked out together and the third was from one tempo he did alone. 

louk : connect.garmin.com/.../4524944928
    me : connect.garmin.com/.../4525210735

louk : connect.garmin.com/.../4498925868
    me : connect.garmin.com/.../4499080843

louk : https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4448674983

so.. why his Fenix 5 doesn't have an issue with the first lane of the track and my lovely 935 , which it is supposed to be a plastic Fenix 5, is so inaccurate ???  Disappointed