This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How common is broken ohr

Hi community!

I am hiking and trail running. As I can understand from searching here and there, 935 is atm the top watch with gps, ABC, OHR, light, very good software etc. I am ready to buy it, the only think stopping me is worrying about that broken OHR problem. It seems too common to ignore. I will wear the watch only during training, not 24/7, so I may decrease the chances of the "glass" shattering. Can you help me understand really how common this issue is? I spoke with the garmin service of my country, they told me that of course it is something never happened to them. 

Thanks everyone!

• Had my 935 for about 18 months now, I wear it 24/7 and treat it like I would any other watch, I don't baby it but try to take care not to damage it. Every week it has 2-3 hours use in the pool, 3-4 hours on a sweaty wrist when I run, and however many hours I can squeeze in on the bike. I wash it maybe once a week in warm soapy water. 

It developed cracks in the OHR after about 5-6 months, I was going to return it but as the OHR, along with everything else, continued to work fine, it didn't seem worth the hassle.

Fast forward to today, cracks haven't really increased in number or size, everything still works fine.

I appreciate some people find it hard to get their head round the fact my watch has developed cracks without it being thrown against a wall / run over by a truck / hit repeatedly with a hammer, but that's just how it is. Similar to how some 935s were / still are useless for open water swims while other 935s, running the same firmware, have been fine. 

• I've had 2 935's replaced with exactly this problem, both appearing after 8-10 months. Spontaneous cracking of OHR. This is a design failure, not a rarity,  the problem is too widespread. I really hope the fixed it in newer production runs, but highly doubt it...

• i have purchased my 935 in March, I wear it every day,  a few days ago I noticed the broken glass.

I wrote a message to Garmin support through the Garmin support web page one week ago and got no reply.

I tried to call them on the phone but nobody picked the call.

I am very disappointed about the early failure and even more about the non-existent customer support for a quite expensive and recently purchased product.

• Lot of scratches showing there. Just sayin'.

Saw a post somewhere where Garmin apparently suggested this was just a film over the sensor peeling back. Just out of curiosity have you tried running a fingernail over sensor to see if a film does come off?

• just tried. No film, this is hard plastic, broken. And I am quite convinced that this can compromise water resistance, as I do not believe that the led contacts are further insulated.

• Sorry for the Off Topic. Blush .....but in the pictures posted here I see that serial number label has been removed from the watches and it seems that has something below that label?

thanks.. 

• Sorry for the delay in answering. With the level of cracks displayed, I had no problem - did a 70.3 race in various conditions and no concern of water in the watch. (I do not use OHR while racing and training - I use a chest HR; however the sensor is in use all throughout the day monitoring my HR)

On the other hand they were not as deep as the other picture presented on this forum, and that is why I asked Garmin for a replacement. I observed over time that the issue was aggravating and did not want to find myself outside warranty with a broken OHR...

• Lot of scratches showing there. Just sayin'.

Just to put some more gas on this fire: every time I take it off my wrist it goes on a soft surface, never dropped. I take really good care of my gadgets and this is no exception.

Yes there are scratches on the watch due to regular use - I am sure yours looks the same for same usage conditions. I have seen witnessed the cracks forming and evolving over 3-4 months. It would take a highly coordinated, precision effort for so many people to damage the watch in the same exact fashion...

• serial number label has been removed

The adhesive gives up after a while and the grey sticker just falls out. I do not know exactly what lays underneath. My cracked-OHR-watch was replaced with a refurbished item. On the replacement one the label almost came undone when I took it from the packaging.

• Hi,

looking at this thread I thought I would look :) And indeed the glass over the OHR is cracked as well.

I'm using my watch 24/7 for 2 years. the only time I remove it is for charging. So I guess it comes from when I put it on the table to charge.

I contacted Garmin and they say it should work without any problem despite the crack. It should not even be a problem in term of waterproof rating

Cheers

Nicolas