This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How common is broken ohr

Hi community!

I am hiking and trail running. As I can understand from searching here and there, 935 is atm the top watch with gps, ABC, OHR, light, very good software etc. I am ready to buy it, the only think stopping me is worrying about that broken OHR problem. It seems too common to ignore. I will wear the watch only during training, not 24/7, so I may decrease the chances of the "glass" shattering. Can you help me understand really how common this issue is? I spoke with the garmin service of my country, they told me that of course it is something never happened to them. 

Thanks everyone!

• I don’t think the risk of a broken ohr is that high so don’t let that prevent you from buying one. 

On the other hand, you say “very good software”. That’s exactly what bothers me with my 935. Garmin focus to much time to keep their featurelist longer than their compatitors and to few time on fixing actual bugs. 

But that’s my opinion. Others wont mind or wont experience software glitches.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago
    I am hiking and trail running.

my 2 cents, go for the Fenix 3 or Fenix 5 or Fenix 5X for maps

happy & safe sporting

• Isn’t a fenix 5 just a forerunner 935 but heavier and bad gps/ant/bluetooth reception? Not a wise choice for trail running. The more robust looks could fit hiking.

The maps of the 5x could be handy for trailrunning (while hiking one would typically bring a phone with much better map usage), but even more heavier.

fenix 3 I don’t know. You could probably get one rather cheap. 

• People who post here have never mistreated or dropped their watches yet somehow they miraculously break OHR sensors and shatter watch faces. I can only speak from our experience having had two 935s since shortly after they came out, and now 945s, that we, or others we know personally, have yet to have any problems with broken OHR. We don’t ‘baby’ our watches. We swim, mountain bike, trail run and bang into things yet miraculously ours keep on working. The only thing you’ll have to ‘worry’ about the OHR is that it is not that good for anything other than inactive activities.

Of course people do have problems with watches. I accept that. But they are not as fragile and delicate as some would have us believe.

• I also think its impossible not to hit your watch somewhere. Although, people with broken OHR (by their fault) have really nothing to gain from complaining here. If I had broken my OHR, and get a new one by warantee, I would be happy and never tell anyone about it. That's why I think most people complaining here really have some faulty equipment. But seeing 945 has the same OHR, I also think that it is not really common. Maybe fenix 6 will tell us.

• Mine is fine after more than two years. I think swimming pool water could be harmful so I never swim with mine. I just rinse it thoroughly under the tap after a run to get all the sweat off and that’s it

• If by broken you mean shattered to the point of its not functioning properly anymore, never heard of a case. If you mean stress cracks then apparently it's very common. However, those cracks don't stop it from working, and being superficial I doubt they compromise water resistance. Mine's been cracked beyond recognition for over a year now and the watch works flawlessly.

• I have two 935, both suffer cracked OHR "lens" e. g glass cover over transmitter/sensor. I have used both normally doing whatever sports I have enjoyed depending of season like cross-country skiing 935 strapped over my sleeve to be readable/operable or swimming in pool or open water (sea and lake). FR935 seems to just have feature to eventually crack the OHR sensor cover, unfortunately. I got one of my 935 replaced by Garmin due cracked OHR with broken barometric elevation sensor

Another with cracked OHR still is going strong but I have 9 mo of warranty left. It definetly should not happen, e.g ~400$ device should be able tolerate the usage what is is designed for without starting to "disintegrate". 

• Difficult to say how common this is as an issue, but it happened to me. The cracks started to appear, and over time grew. They are placed exactly over the led lights and the sensor are on the OHR. For the skeptics, I really take good care of my watch. I have it on my wrist every moment of the day with HR on (except shower and cycling). I use it for about 3 hours in the pool each week and 4 hours running.

I had mine replaced by Garmin, no questions asked. My perception is that the replacement watch has a somewhat smaller bulge for the OHR than the initial one. Perhaps something was adjusted in the manufacturing process.

• I've swum in pools and the sea regularly without experiencing any signs of 'distress' to the OHR.

I retain my right to be sceptical at how the most carefully protected and 'babied' watches somehow get cracked, broken or otherwise damaged.

Great that Garmin replace them though.