This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

OPen Water malfunction

Has anyone else had this experience?

935 tracks for 300-500 yards and then poops out.  Data states 100 yards  9min 35 sec then 12 seconds for next 100.  Frustrating    I've called Garmin and inquiry has been forwarded to MAJOR ISSUE department.

Anyone else????  

Thanks   poke

• blue=gps under swim cap    red=935 GPS+Galileo

at the moment my 935 is working more or less fine during OWS (red=935 GPS+Glaileo, blue=gps tracker under swim cap)

• There are no additional setting to change for OWS. THe 935 has gone off the boil before with OWS but has been sorted by Garmin in the end. Make sure to log the issue with tGarmin Support

• I have not seen that kind of problems with my 935. I have done about 50km during 30..40 sessions total OWS on last three months, but only problem has been one corrupted FIT file that was partially recoverable with FIT file repair tool. Here are my latest session today with Polar V800 track (I wear V800 on right wrist, I have not given up Polar yet but I have been starting to be confident enough to 935 to retire the V800 soon, I hope…).

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3785101207

https://flow.polar.com/training/analysis/3614640896

The difference with recorded tracks with 935 and V800 is that V800 track is more smooth and somehow feels more "real" than 935 counterpart, but the total distance is normally rather close; usually the difference of total distance between 935 and V800 has been within -10..+5%. It seems that 935 tends to measure somewhat less total distance than V800, I am 5..10s per 100m slower with 935 :) and I need to spent few hours more time on lake with 935 to be beat my summer OWS distance record from last summer with V800...

I use GPS+Galileo setup on 935, if feels for me to give most reliable total distance as compared to GPS only V800 (and to give most consistent pace over the sessions which is what I expect; to have pace 1:45..2:00/100m but not much outside that window). Overall I think that the total accuracy will settle within +/- 10 % of total real distance which is acceptable for me. I have this summer used my to-be-retired V800 as a reference and sometimes I also put some another reference GPS device to my swimming buoy. I have feeling that accuracy is better on calm lake that on windy conditions due the waves (hand is less time out of water and the visibility to sky (to catch the signal from satellites low on sky) is also suffering if being bottom of wave.

I have rather pleased to 935 after 5 months usage covering not only OW and pool swimming but also crosscountry skiing, running and cycling. I do have two units (another one originally bought to my wife, but she think that the 935 is too "complex" to her leaving it to me as backup) which is fine because Garmin have had some quality problems with these devices. I have personally see the two problems, one is HR-sensor "glass" cracking and the another issue is erratic barometric sensor. One rumoured explanation is that the sensor may slowly "die" if used extensively on pool like I do (chlorine of the water may do the damage). Or whatever is root cause, but still the barometric altimeter may became unrealiable/inaccurate.

I have already got one replacement unit because the reasons above and my backup 935 have starting to show hint of cracks in HR sensor "glass" cover too, altimeter instead is doing fine. Still, by by owing two units I can have one to be in the RMA process and meanwhile use the another one :)