This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Treadmill Calibration Doesn't Allow Correct Distance

With the arrival of the cold weather I've been doing some runs on the treadmill and elliptical, unfortunately my 935 doesn't let me set the proper distance to what the machine tells me when I select Calibrate & Save. I've run more than a mile on the treadmill and the watch thinks I've run more than a mile. For instance today, I ran 1.7 miles on the treadmill in 15 minutes before doing a strength workout. When I hit Calibrate and Save the longest option I could set for distance was 1.10 miles. It gets even worse if I run for an hour where the mileage I ran compared to what I can tell the watch is multiple miles more.

I'm assuming this is screwing with my training status as well providing wrong numbers to Connect/Strava for tracking. I don't recall having this issue last winter but I had a different 935, this one was a replacement I received in May (cracked OHR sensor issue.) It's running 11.00 software.
  • Tried again today running two 20 minute attempts. The first one was registered at 1.31 mi on the watch and 2.12 mi on the machine. It only let me calibrate to 1.30 mi. The second one was 1.48 mi on the watch but 2.22 mi on the machine and only let me calibrate to 1.50 mi. So apparently still not working, is no one else having this issue?

I'm going to try to reset the activity to the default and see if that fixes it.
  • I haven't had any issues calibrating with a treadmill. I had to do it last week and this morning as well and i am able to select any length.
  • I can't help with the calibration issue, but if you head over to Zwift Runners on Facebook there are some seriously technical guys on there who appear to have very clever ways of calibrating and checking distances, speeds etc.

But can I ask how you "redo" calibration on the 935 please?

Thanks,

Greg
  • IAmChillyP thanks for checking and good to know I'm not going crazy. What firmware version are you running? I'm on 12.10. Would you mind sending me the treadmill app/activity from your watch? I'm wondering if mine somehow got screwed up. It'll be in the "SPORTS" folder on the device, mine is called "2RTREAD.FIT" I believe and the number might be different.

I've restored the defaults in the treadmill app and am hoping that'll resolve it but the weather has been nicer the past few days so I've not been inside again (thankfully.) Also going to try without wearing my HRM-Tri since maybe the running dynamics sensors are messing with it.

kitenski Here's how to do it: https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/fenix5/EN-US/GUID-86541696-B60E-44BC-9A46-4349C86A1CD8.html (Doesn't show in the FR935 manual but the F5/5s are essentially the same thing?)The "Calibrate & Save" shows up on the pause/stop screen if the watch thinks you've run more than 1 mi. It was added in firmware version 5.30, see https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=11495.
  • IAmChillyP thanks for checking and good to know I'm not going crazy. What firmware version are you running? I'm on 12.10. Would you mind sending me the treadmill app/activity from your watch? I'm wondering if mine somehow got screwed up. It'll be in the "SPORTS" folder on the device, mine is called "2RTREAD.FIT" I believe and the number might be different.

I've restored the defaults in the treadmill app and am hoping that'll resolve it but the weather has been nicer the past few days so I've not been inside again (thankfully.) Also going to try without wearing my HRM-Tri since maybe the running dynamics sensors are messing with it.

Hey...not sure how to tell which file is needed...they're all date/timestamped the same from today.

Also, I'm on 12.10
  • Mine are all date/timestamped from today too. I'm looking for the one that's named "#RTREAD.FIT". Or if you wouldn't mind just dumping and zipping up your GARMIN\SPORTS folder I can figure it out from there. Here's a picture showing it. Thanks!ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1443098.jpg
  • Hopefully this has what you need
  • Perfect thanks! If this doesn't work I guess I'll reset the watch.
  • chrisallennc did you ever figure out what the issue is/was? I'm having this same problem now. My treadmill runs are logging less than half of my pace even after calibrating the day prior, and when I calibrate I only get a limited amount of values I can pick so I can't select the correct distance all the time.

• No, I just gave up on it. A hard reset of the watch fixed it for a bit but it came back after a few runs. Since it's been warmer I've been running outside.