This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Bike Courses - How to??

I am doing a 45 mile bike ride tomorrow and have the gps directions as it is a race. How do I load those onto my watch?

I am assuming I take the file and load onto watch via GC on the computer then then after in outdoor bike I go to courses and pick it??

First time so I wanted to ask and hopefully it is that easy. Thanks in advance.
  • You can recreate the course on Garmin Connect (under course) then click the send to button and it will send the course to the 935 (via Garmin Express).
  • By the way, you *might* be able to dump the file you have in /newfiles and it create a course, but that is dependant on the file format you have been given
  • It is a gpx file.

By the way, you *might* be able to dump the file you have in /newfiles and it create a course, but that is dependant on the file format you have been given

• Dragged the file into the newfiles folder and it is there. I guess I will see tomorrow. I don't think that I will actually need it since it is marked but figured I might as well try.
  • It might be a bit late now, but the way I use for running (and my running routes load on a bike activity) is to firstly go into GC on the PC and upload the .gpx file as a new activity. If that works, bonus, but it normally doesn't - it's worth trying on the off chance that whoever has provided the file has already done the next step.
    If it hasn't worked go to GPSies.com and go to Convert. Convert it into a .gpx file using the normal, standard options. Download the exported (new) .gpx file and upload it as a new activity in GC. It'll come up date 2010, so look to the very beginning of your activities. Open the activity, settings->Make course. Follow the next steps to get the course created and delete the activity.

It's a really long winded way but it works.
  • Thanks for the reply. Tried it today and worked well for what it is. I think I was expecting a mini gps to have a popup prior to the turn instead of just an arrow and the breadcrumb screen but I can live with it.

Unless I am missing something and it does do turn by turn??
  • As far as I know turn by turn is possible only with tracks created in garmin connect itself... (Or perhaps there are also some other ways but not sure about that).
  • That is good to know and will test it. I dont mind creating my own course since I only have to do it once if that works like you said. I did not have time before the right so I dragged the file to my newfiles folder and it was there.

Thanks again.

As far as I know turn by turn is possible only with tracks created in garmin connect itself... (Or perhaps there are also some other ways but not sure about that).

• Hi, I just logged in to ask questions about biking and course and what do you know, the top subject is just that.

last Friday I rode a new 140km route from brisbane to the Sunshine Coast following a course I created the day before on Connect. However, the only way o could d'ivoire out how to follow it was using the Navigate app. So, I have a raft of questions following the experience...

1) How do you follow a course as part of a Run or Bike activity? My 140km ride was NOT recorded as my longest ride as it was a Navigate not Ride activity.
    2) The Map data screen kept reverting back to the 1st screen (which doesn't show the map) at random delays (sometimes a few seconds and sometime up to 10 minutes or more). Each time I needed guidance I needed to unlock and re-select the Map data screen.
    3) The turn by turn was pretty neat when it worked but it seemed to only show directions sometimes, not for every turn.
    4) it's possible to add "course" to the Ride activity data screens but I can't see which actual course it might use as you don't have the option to select one when you start the ride.

All in all it didn't go too well and seemed very trial and error - definitely not covered comprehensively enough in the manual.

aAny more tips (from Garmin or other users)?

Thanks...