This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Feature Request: indoor cycling - ask distance

I frequently cross train on a spin bike. Unfortunately, the bike isn't capable of relaying any stats to my watch. So, while I can get HR from my watch and cadence from a sensor on my shoe, I don't get a total distance for the ride. Currently I have to remember the distance that the bike estimates for me and edit the record that is uploaded to garmin connect later.

It would be nice if at the end of an indoor cycling activity, when the watch measures 0 distance, I have the opportunity to enter the estimated total distance for inclusion in the FIT file. Perhaps this could work in a manner similar to the way that a swim drill works. Bonus points if the average speed is computed in the resulting activity.

(This would be particularly nice because currently there is a bug in both the connect mobile app and the web app where average speed is not computed if you go back and manually enter distance to a ride that was recorded with 0 distance.)
  • On the times I have had a similar "problem" I took a picture of the final readout with my phone for later "analysis".
  • I frequently cross train on a spin bike. Unfortunately, the bike isn't capable of relaying any stats to my watch. So, while I can get HR from my watch and cadence from a sensor on my shoe, I don't get a total distance for the ride. Currently I have to remember the distance that the bike estimates for me and edit the record that is uploaded to garmin connect later.

It would be nice if at the end of an indoor cycling activity, when the watch measures 0 distance, I have the opportunity to enter the estimated total distance for inclusion in the FIT file. Perhaps this could work in a manner similar to the way that a swim drill works. Bonus points if the average speed is computed in the resulting activity.

(This would be particularly nice because currently there is a bug in both the connect mobile app and the web app where average speed is not computed if you go back and manually enter distance to a ride that was recorded with 0 distance.)

Yes, this would certainly be a good feature.
  • I agree... i have had this same thought on a few occasions
  • +1

This is also an issue for Indoor Rowing.
  • Another +1 for this feature. Similar to the treadmill calibration when you run over 1mi on the 935, I would like it to prompt me to enter distance after I stop an Indoor Bike session.

I automatically upload my activities to Strava, so currently it'll upload my data right away but Strava won't get a distance and Strava also doesn't allow you to edit the activity later, so by entering the distance on the watch before pressing Save seems like a great feature.
  • +1 on that. Would be great for ALL indoor activities that have a distance.

No idea if Garmin is reading here, so maybe we all share this idea directly to Garmin:
    http://www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/
  • +1 for this feature for open water (breaststroke) swimming with GPS off (distance is from another Garmin under swim cap). I merge the FIT files later, but it would be nice to have the total distance in the activity summary on the FR935. Logging the swim as a drill does the trick too, but then no stroke rate is recorded.
  • This would be a great idea for all indoor activities.
  • +1 on that. Would be great for ALL indoor activities that have a distance.

No idea if Garmin is reading here, so maybe we all share this idea directly to Garmin:
    http://www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/

I submitted it there and linked back to this thread. I think everyone should do the same. Maybe the more requests they get the better chance we have of seeing this feature added.
  • Agreed, it can only help if more people do that. I also submitted the idea.