This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Second hand 735XT - Cracked screen or screen protector?

Hi, I recently bought a Forerunner 735XT used, where the owner (who had also bought it second-hand) had chipped/cracked the screen. I was going to put a screen protector over the top to try and stop further cracks, but I am wondering if it already has some kind of thick (glass?) screen protector already (installed by 1st owner of the watch) - which has been damaged instead of the screen. As you can (hopefully) see from the pictures below, it looks as there is a raised section of the screen (about 1mm) that is flush at the top right edge (where the start/enter button is) but lower left edge (down button) has a gap approx 1mm from the plastic lip surrounding the screen. So I was wondering whether the screen is normally recessed below the lip surrounding the screen, and whether the screen glass usually fully extends edge to edge?

I am hoping this is just a damaged screen protector I can remove/replace, rather than a cracked screen, but want to be sure before I try removing it (don't want to ruin the screen if it doesn't have a protector!). Any help would be much appreciated

• I can't quite tell from the pics but I suspect it is the actual screen. The screen is plastic though if you can distinguish the material. To determine if there is a protector use your fingernail on another area of the screen edge and see if you can feel a seem. Most screen protectors are just slightly smaller than the actual screen and glass ones are slightly raised above the black plastic lip. Plastic film does not do that but it too is usually slightly smaller in diameter. If one is present you can peel it away with your nail or carefully with an sharp blade.

A protector won't likely change its waterproof abilities though may make the surface smoother and protect from further damage. If it more than a slight chip if you don't need to get it wet I suggest you don't.

• Look like a cracked screenprotector to me. 

you can try sliding a piece of paper underneath near the cracks to remove it
    Heating it up with a hairdryer (low heat) makes it easier to remove)

www.youtube.com/watch

With my screenprotector the glass is very slighly thicker than the edge of the watch and I get similar cracks after using it for a while.

Remove it and   the watch will look like new again. Then maybe replace the screenprotector if you want.

• Cheers guys, removed the screen protector today to replace with a new one, and screen was perfectly intact beneath. Looks good as new again now Slight smile

• That happened to me once. Congrats! Nice surprise

• That's good to hear!

Congrats on getting a beautiful awesome watchGrinning

Now get out there and run/bike/swim/... and enjoy it Laughing