This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Tracking "distance" on indoor bike trainer

Hello,

I have a Garmin 735XT multisport watch and have tried a workout on a Tacx flux smart trainer.  My Garmin tracked all the expected metrics except for distance, as recorded on zwift. Any ideas?

Thanks

• I think you may be running into a similar situation as me, which is that the trainer accepts various device inputs but doesn't rebroadcast to anything but the app.

I ride a TacX Smart Bushido, generally use a ForeRunner 735XT, and have an Edge 820 for outdoors (with cadence and speed sensors).The TacX trainer doesn't want to talk to my Garmin HR straps, so I fell back to a Polar heartrate strap which the Garmin gadgets don't like but  the trainer does. This way I can get HR, cadence, speed, power in the app (I use the TacX app, but I'm sure Zwift DTRT). If I enable the Edge on one of these rides, it can get some info from the sensors - speed, cadence - and can get elevation and watts from the trainer, but for some reason the trainer does not rebroadcast the HR up to the Edge. (TBH, I could be totally wrong about my guesses here about what is going on, but tbh I fell into a pit of very deep frustration about expensive gadgetry not wanting to talk to other expensive gadgetry, so once I found something that worked, i said "fine, done.")

The end result is that either I have Garmin recordings of trainer sessions have partial information (no HR), or I have TacX sessions where it can't track my HR for adjusting. In the end, I have found it easiest to let the TacX app "master" the recording of the session, then export the session from TacX and import it into Garmin. That way I get all my stats in a single recording (TacX) and still get it in Garmin Connect.

For your case, I suspect you could also work around this by adding an ANT+ speed sensor to the bike that you can pair with the Garmin, if you don't want to go the export/import route. You might wind up with slightly different distances in Zwift and on the Garmin (measuring wheels is annoying, plus tire inflation, blah blah) but it's probably close enough.

Good luck!

• this is not a case with Wahoo SNAP so I would say: Tacx interface issue