This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Poor GPS on 735XT compared to Forerunner 35

I've had a 735XT for a couple of years and I have always been suspicious of the GPS accuracy. When ever I run with friends, my run is always shorter that what they have recorded. I've done multiple different parkrun courses and my 735XT is always showing up short.

Today, I plotted a route on Strava and on Garmin Connect and the route was exactly 16.1km on both programs.

I ran with my wife, who was wearing her Forerunner 35. At the point on the route where we had expected the finish to be, the Forerunner 35 was showing 16.1km, but my 735XT was showing 15.7km.

We did a hill rep session last week. It was 200m up hill, then 200m back down again. After 3 reps my wifes Forerunner 35 showed close to 1.2km (as expected), but my 735XT showed only 900m. Looking at the traces on GC and Strava afterwards, I could see that my 735XT couldn't cope with the turning points and under recorded them all. As the session went on, the under recording got worse.

I have the following settings on my 735XT:

Auto Pause: Off
GPS:GPS + GLONASS
Power Save Timeout: Normal
Data Recording: Every Second

Is there anything I can do on the 735XT which might improve things?