This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Has anyone found that lower Stress Score directly relates to better performance? Or, Recovery Advisor?

I just added Stress Score, a few weeks back, to my spreadsheet for run data tracking.
So far, I don't see clear-cut correlation between lower or higher morning SS score and faster(or slower) times on 5, 8, or even 10+ mile runs.

With regard to Recovery Advisor, it doesn't seem to be cumulative for the full days exercise. If I run 10+ miles, and it says "14 hours" recovery. Then, right after, I cool down with a 1 mile walk, it will say "1 hour" for full recovery. Am I interpreting it wrong?

• Stress Score is a gimmick. It's not actionable at all, or does provide meaningful data. I've updated from a 735 to 935 long ago so can't remember but does the 735 have the "HRV Stress" app? Although it puts out an arbitrary number, it at least measures HRV.

The most reasonable, i.e. scientifically backed, thing would be to conduct a Rusko-Orthostatic test yourself, build a baseline, and keep track of your "stress", so to speak, by yourself. Seeing you already maintain a spreadsheet, the added work shouldn't be much. The standard protocol for a Rusko-Orthostatic test is to (start a generic indoor activity and) lay supine for 5 minutes, then stand up for another 2 minutes. Note your avg. HR during the last 2 minutes of lying (3'-5' elapsed time), your HR at 15 seconds after standing up (5:15' elapsed time), and your avg. HR during the last 30 seconds of standing (6:30-7:00' elapsed time). You wanna write down the difference from avg. standing and supine HR, and your HR after 15secs of standing (which should be your peak before the Parasympathetic Autonomous Regulation sets in). Keep track of those two values daily during an easy week while at good health to build a baseline, and keep comparing your values during your training cycles to the baseline. You'll quickly make out trends your own but there are also a few sides online on how to interpret increases, and decreases in HR trends.

• Well that IS a bit weird.
    When I get, say, 16hrs recovery after a run, and then I walk the dog for an hour (easy walking), I'd get the 16hrs minus the time that had passed by since the end of the workout. 
    And If it was the other way around, say, after a looong walk/hike with the dog, 4hrs recovery time, and I start an easy run after two hours, I'd get a longer recovery time than with only a run - at least I think so!

For me, the recovery times make sense.
    I train for triathlons and do hikes and dog walks, and recovery times are consistent and make sense.
    I get less recovery times for my easy long rides than for a harder hour-long run, which makes sense.

On days when I don't feel well, even the usual one-hour walk in the woods with the dog would result in 4hrs recovery time (compared to the usual one or two).

So, what you describe is not what I experience with my watch.

Btw, it IS a 735XT you use? 

Because mine doesn't have a stress core unless I do a proper HRV-test with a heart rate monitor on.
    While I do have a Garmin Vivosport that records stress. 

I have been using my 735XT for almost two years, and the Vivosport for a year, and I record lots of my training stuff on paper as well, and I must say, for me, all the stats make sense.

If your recovery advisor works like you describe it, there must be some hidden setting for that - like "display recoverty time for each workout separately" or something like that? 
    On mine, it is cummulative, and sums them up (which makes sense).