This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to unscrew HRM Run lid?

Yesterday battery died in my HRM run sensor. To replace the battery I need to unscrew four screws. I found out that I cannot do it - the screws stuck. I managed to remove one of them, but all others are completely stuck and do not move. Unfortunately I damaged heads on those that stuck. I tried WD-40 overnight, but it did not help. How can I remove the screws? Given how much these Garmin sensors cost, I do not want to buy a new one because screws get stuck.

• I can't believe this is so difficult/impossible! My Wahoo TickrX can be undone with a thumbnail or a coin. 

Sounds like I need a chisel Disappointed

• It's a matter of water resistance. Things that are easy to open are usually much less water resistant. The HRM-Tri is a device which is designed for prolonged underwater use.

• Not really. You do not need a lot of pressure to have a good seal. Firstly, they should use silicon grease, which does not damage the ring, but prevents that water from going down. And here is how O-ring works under water. When you submerge it under water, the pressure will tend to push the ring inside. This pressure deforms the rubber making the seal even better. So all you need it to slightly squeeze the o-ring to make sure there is no leak initially.

• How did you mange to unscrew all screws im stuck with 2 out of 4, cannot do it 

• With a chisel. I used a sharp corder of an old chisel. I guess you can try this with a knife, but it is more dangerous, you can cut yourself.

• Same problem. And garmin France said that they had never heard about this issue. 

They provided no other solutions like replacement or discount on a new Hrm. 

So the customer service is useless, and I need to solve myself. 

They are not even able to give me the reference of the screws, they are poor, they know nothing about«  their » products

• Hello

I had the same problem with my hrm. I *** up the screws head and finally the plastic cover. I was able to remove 3 Of them but not the fourth. 

• If you have a drill press and are reasonably skilled at being precise and careful when drilling things, you can drill out the screw head with a 5/64-inch drill bit.  If you drill just deep enough so that the outer flange of the head is removed, you can then remove the plastic cover over the reduced/drilled-out flanges, and, then, when the cover is removed, you can grab what remains of the screw head with a curved-tip needle-nose plier to remove the old screws completely.

• I had the same experience. Phillips head #00 required.