This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to unscrew HRM Run lid?

Yesterday battery died in my HRM run sensor. To replace the battery I need to unscrew four screws. I found out that I cannot do it - the screws stuck. I managed to remove one of them, but all others are completely stuck and do not move. Unfortunately I damaged heads on those that stuck. I tried WD-40 overnight, but it did not help. How can I remove the screws? Given how much these Garmin sensors cost, I do not want to buy a new one because screws get stuck.

• Hey Alex, can you please confirm this turned out to be the correct screw size. 

• M1.4 x 4 mm worked for me. It's not exact match, but works just fine. www.ebay.com/.../352454253284

• I have exactly the same problem and it is highly annoying.  It just seems to be a case of poor design.  Surely Garmin can do better than this.

• I tried a letter opener and cut myself!

• You're going to need a small Phillips screwdriver. Small enough so that it will grab the screw head without damaging it.

• I couldn’t find the little black screwdriver that came with the unit, a Torx T5, so I tried a very small Phillips screw driver from my toolkit. Even though the fit of the Phillips head seemed a perfect match for the screws, none of the screws would budge. I took out my little kit of specialized tools and there it was, the Torx T5!

The Torx head seemed too small for the screws, but I knew the best way to avoid damaging the screws was to push in firmly and gently counter-rotate each one, slowly and steadily. This worked and using this technique all four screws came out without difficulty.

I recommend that if you too have misplaced the Torx T5 screwdriver that came with the unit, you acquire a new one rather than risk damaging the screws using a Phillips.

Note that older versions of this HRM (produced before Sept. 2020) use Phillips head #00 screws.

Garmin should include in their user doc a caution to use the supplied Torx T5 ONLY or risk damaging the screws. 

• Note that older versions of this HRM (produced before Sept. 2020) use Phillips head #00 screws

Purchased my HRM Run in 2018. Phillips screwdriver with bit size "PH0" fits perfectly. I'd recommend getting the proper screwdriver, either Phillips PH0 or torx T5, depending on which version of HRM Run you have. No letter openers.Grinning