This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

FRUSTRATING: Unable to set correct Date and Time!

Am running latest 8.30 firmware.
I understand that all Garmin watches rely on GPS in order to set the time and date... but that is very problematic for a user who is rarely outdoors.
When I first got my watch, I was unable to set the correct date and time and only got it to work after walking 15 minutes to an open area outdoors, a good distance from the 50-story apartment block I live in. I'm not sure but also toggling "Set Automatically" On/Off in an open area outdoors might have helped.
A week later, my watch "froze" and I had to forcibly power it off by holding the Power button for 12 seconds.
When the watch came back on the date and time were completely wrong. Today is Aug 3 but it got changed to Aug 1 and the time got changed to about 12 hours earlier.
My daily routine takes me from home to office and swimming but in an indoor pool. I thought that while driving the watch would pick up a good GPS signal and correct the date/time but it didn't.
At my office I put the watch right next to a big window and it also didn't correct the date/time.
Wait - suddenly the date/time is fixed and my watch is on my desk which is next to a window - but it has now taken over 5 hours in order for the time/date to be fixed!
What's extremely frustrating is when the time/date becomes off for whatever reason, there is no way to correctly set both the date and time.
I can manually set the time but the date will be off.
I would like to suggest that there be a new option for setting the date/time that perhaps relies on syncing with mobile device - not the GPS which in my case is very unreliable.
Mobile devices like my iPhone (and computers) are able to maintain the correct date/time by periodically checking an NNTP server over its Internet connection.
Thoughts/suggestions?
Thanks,
Derek
  • You can set it manually by going into settings/system/clock/set automatically off/set time.
  • I live halfway up a >30-storey apartment building, which stands among similarly tall buildings in the city, and over time I've found that it is possible to get a lock on GPS satellite signals indoors.

What I do is put a hook that is attached to a suction cup on the window pane, and let the watch hang there in training mode for as long as it needs. I've done that with both my FR235 and my FR630 several times, and it works.

Wait - suddenly the date/time is fixed and my watch is on my desk which is next to a window - but it has now taken over 5 hours in order for the time/date to be fixed!

Considering that, after a hard reset, my FR630 would take about ten minutes outdoors to lock onto GPS (in spite of having synced and downloaded the latest EPO data file after the reset) even though it normally takes ten seconds on subsequent days, it would be expected to take significantly longer just hanging there by the window.

Of course, you have to keep the watch out of low-power mode (which, for most intents and purposes, you can assume the watch is in when it is showing the watch face) the whole time. That may well mean setting the Power Save Timeout setting for the GPS-enabled activity profile to 'Extended' (i.e. 25 minutes idle time before automatically returning to low-power mode), and checking on it every 15 to 20 minutes once the profile is selected.

Being on your desk and not actually right next to the window pane would also make it slightly more difficult for your watch.

I thought that while driving the watch would pick up a good GPS signal and correct the date/time but it didn't.

Moving at driving speeds will not help your GPS time-to-first-fix when 'cold', i.e. the device has no previously acquired ephemeris data that it acquired from satellites to leverage.

I would like to suggest that there be a new option for setting the date/time that perhaps relies on syncing with mobile device - not the GPS which in my case is very unreliable.

I don't agree that the GPS in unreliable in any way. If your watch is apt to spontaneously crash-and-reset, and losing date and time as well as ephemeris data in the process, that's not the GPS being unreliable.

Mobile devices like my iPhone (and computers) are able to maintain the correct date/time by periodically checking an NNTP server over its Internet connection.

Garmin wearable fitness devices generally have no Internet connectivity of their own, although some models are equipped with Wi-Fi capability which cannot be configured on the watches directly. On the other hand, most models are equipped with GPS, and data -- including date, time, and time zone -- acquired directly from satellites can be trusted to be accurate and free from interception, tampering or just user error in configuration.

It makes no sense to trust, say, an iPhone to serve as an authoritative proxy for date and time in view of that; the wearable device or even the Garmin Connect Mobile app running on the iPhone cannot verify how the date, time and time zone -- as far as the handset's operating system is concerned -- were set.
  • ASmugDill - Thank you very much for your very thoughtful, helpful and kind reply and apologies for such a late response. You've shared some great, insightful info that is helpful for me and hopefully many others who have read this post. Best wishes!
  • That's great for the time.  I also can not change the date and the watch will not connect to the satellite at all for GPS (Have tried both hard and soft resets and various outdoor locations) with the watch timing out on every attempt to connect.  I have looked for a way to sync this with a connection to the PC and Mac but still have not been able to resolve the issue.

Can you suggest how date can be adjusted without a satellite/GPS link. 

• The FR735XT is not affected by the issue described in the link provided.