This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

USB device not recognized

My 735XT stopped connecting to my computer (Win 8.1). I get the following message:

USB device not recognized
The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it.

I have tried the following:
- Rebooted the computer
- Tried different USB ports
- Tried connecting to a laptop that worked before (Win 7, no connection, no message)

The watch charges when I plug it in, so I assume the cable is ok.

I have not done a reset on my watch yet as I don't want to loose the tracks.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Jan
  • I've had from time to time with various Garmin devices. Never quite figured out what was wrong. It just seem to start working again next time I tried...
  • I had this on my old 225. It was down to a bad connection between the watch and the lead. Try cleaning the contacts on the watch and lead. It might help

CW
  • I had this on my old 225. It was down to a bad connection between the watch and the lead. Try cleaning the contacts on the watch and lead. It might help

CW

Thanks for the suggestion, but cleaning the contacts has not helped.
  • A watch reset maybe the next thing to try. However you can try the less invasive one of a hard reset first - press and hold the power button for 15 secs until powers off then power on again. This does not lose any data but clears the GPS cache so you may need to go and get a GPS fix again for the time of day to show correctly.
  • A watch reset maybe the next thing to try. However you can try the less invasive one of a hard reset first - press and hold the power button for 15 secs until powers off then power on again. This does not lose any data but clears the GPS cache so you may need to go and get a GPS fix again for the time of day to show correctly.

Thanks, that worked and the activities are still there. Back in service :)
  • Firmware 9.40, still same problem.

BUT power off Garmin, connect to USB and then it works. How hard this problem is to fix for Garmin developers ?

• this worked for me. turned off the watch, plugged it in and it was able to connect. charging is fine, but always a problem connecting to garmin connect