This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

I thought the 735 was waterproof?

Well mine isn't! Tried it in the pool today and within seconds the screen had gone black. Now it wasn't fully charged so more in hope than anything else I put it on charge. Came back to it and the charger had melted and fused to the watch which had been seeping water onto the desk where it was lay. Surely this can't be right? Anybody else had a similar problem? Watch is now completely kaput and I have no charger. A ticket has been logged with Garmin
  • I don't think I pressed buttons in water but pressed them just out of the water when starting and stopping.

After a night of drying in rice, it was in a state where the display is back, except flickering, and the battery was completely drained in the morning. Don't know if a little more drying will help that or even when the flickering goes away the battery will start draining immediately.

Indoor swimming measurement isn't that great anyway and you lose the heart rate monitor, so what I might do is buy some cheap $20 digital Timex or something at a department store solely for timing myself swimming, then enter the result manually. Hopefully won't have to send this one in for repair.
  • It's a triathlon watch so it should resist water.
  • After a full day of drying it's 95% better. Display still has occasional missing fill. Need to find out how to cancel that repair request. Might need to get a new one before the actual triathlon I'm training for.
  • Mine was exactly the same this morning. I've had mine 3 weeks, double checked it was waterproof as it was a present from my wife and seconds into the pool it went blank, I took it off right away and now the screen is damaged and not connecting to my phone. Poor! 

• I had exactly the same problem here. Unfortunately is not under warranty anymore.

• Same here.... FR735XT Got blank after a swim. Unfortunately out of warranty period. Will anyway contact Garmin for their take on such issue.

• That's too bad. That is not how they should be. I bought a 735xt four years ago, and it just died due to water damage. But I swam 2-3 times a week in a pool and then probably 30-40 times in the ocean over those four years either with triathlons or surfing. After a swim last week, I noticed what looked like water around the edges of the screen. I thought it might just be condensation although it was odd that it had not happened before. Sure enough, after my next swim the watch died. I noticed more moisture out of the pool and a couple of hours later it was blank. So I guess some of these do work as intended, at least for four years in my case. I was thinking to get another one but after reading these stories maybe I'll go with something else.

• 7 years later, this issue continuous to show on 735XT. On me very second swim, the watch started vibrating itselfs, buttons doesn't respond and... Dead.