This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Back button not working and other funkiness

I've had the 735xt watch for about a week. I use it primarily for pool and open water swimming. I used it this morning for a 90 minute workout. After the workout was done, I saved workout. After showering, I went to look at the workout (splits, etc.) and the back button wasn't working. I tried several times, and no response. Then it beeped a ton of times in a row (catching up from the previous pressing of the button), but it still was not responding.

I powered off the watch. When when I powered it back on, it wouldn't let me get past the screen where it asks if you want to clear user data. I select "no," and it won’t proceed. It finally let me proceed past the screen, but the back button is still not working.

I just powered it off again and will leave it off for a while.

Love to hear from anyone who has had this issue and how to resolve it. Garmin support does not offer weekend hours, much to my surprise and displeasure.

Needless to say, I have very low customer satisfaction right now with my first-ever Garmin purchase....
  • That happend to my watch yesterday.
    I was about to go for a run, so I declined the update ("Remind med later") - and during the run, the distance didn't show and the back button didn't work.

Then it completely stopped when I ended the workout - screen froze on "saving".

So I did a fored restart (pushing the off button for 15seconds) since charging didn't help either.

The restart helped - everything works - although now the only language option available is english, so something is still not right yet.

If you cannot get it sorted out, contact customer service directly at Garmin, I got help there last time.

• I have this issue too have only had my 735XT about a month. Back button doesn't respond, but now seems to activate repeatedly without pressing. Watch is virtually unusable after only a few weeks. Will be seeking a refund. 

• +1 for this issue with my watch as well. Exact same issue. Did anyone figure out how to get this fixed? What a waste for such an expensive watch to break like this.

• Same thing here, only with The up/ down button: keeps on scrolling down And the up button does not work. 
    After last update (Should be coincidence)

• Same here happened to my 735xt watch this morning. Has anyone found a workaround or contacted Garmin support?

• Other than trying a hard reset, there is sadly no fix for physical button problems. Contact Garmin.

• I just did and I was really disappointed by their after-sales support. Although the watch is still under warranty, they told be that I will have to wait 1-1.5 month for replacement and pay also for the costs for the watch to be shipped to Europe's central service. I really want to escalate this somehow!

• This has happened to my watch today. Gutted to read the above thread, because it seems that my watch is buggered. I've just been raving about how much I love it and all of I sudden I went over to it and its not working.

I'll be chasing Garmin up myself. Did you just contact them directly?

• I'm having the exact same issue after an open water swim.  Back button doesn't work and I'm frozen on the 'Clear user data?' screen.

• This happened to me too: gamin stuck on 'clear user data', back button not working and all I could do with it was turn it off and on.  

I fixed it by first installing all new updates, which took 2 rounds of connecting & disconnecting it to Garmin on my laptop.

I then had to do the 'hard reset' steps 3 times in a row before it came back to life and is functioning properly now.