This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Swimming counting as steps

I have done a couple of swims now with the watch and i have been using the watch to record the pool swim paired with an HRM-SWIM.

It appears to be counting the swimming movement as steps and my step count has increased whilst swimming. I would expect this may happen with the movement of the arm if i were not recording the activity. However, I would have expected it to not count steps if at the same time it was counting swimming strokes.

Is this expected behaviour for others, and also do you see the same behaviour?
  • Same issue.
    I don't use chest strap but I registered 2000/2500 steps for every swim training. I hope that a future update will disable step count during an activity...
  • Same issue here

I am confused about step counter, this afternoon I counted by my own 3331 steps , from home to pool .
    Well I did an hour of swim, Garmin connect indicates . 1240 arm move.

I checked total steps counted , 4750 !!!!!

So now I understand that wrong results , too bad Garmin !!!!

I suspects that can be always happening in running sessions , I must test , not sure 100%

I use HR-SWim and HR-TR
  • [QUOTE

I suspects that can be always happening in running sessions , I must test , not sure 100%

I use HR-SWim and HR-TR

I have tested today on running and step count is accurate , so problem is on swimming
  • Apparently garmin does not give a crap about this bug, it is still not fixed.

• There are lots of posts about this for all similar Garmin watches. Steps are triggered by accelerations, and the watch cannot distinguish between the accelerations in swimming and walking/running. Think of them more as an "activity count." The simple solution would be for Garmin to allow manually turning off step counting in swimming. In theory you can do this by turning on and off activity monitoring, but that is a clumsy way to do that and I suspect it would then not count "intensity minutes" during swimming. Same could be said of running. I'd rather separately record steps from walking and running. In the mean time, the math isn't hard to distinguish how many more came from swimming.