This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sleep Tracking (2 hours before bed)

I've been tracking my sleep lately. Garmin says wear the watch two hours before going to bed to get accurate tracking.  In my experience this is true.  If I put my watch on at 10:00 P.M., and go to sleep at 10:30 P.M., the next morning in will show something like midnight or so for falling asleep. When I have it on for two or more hours before I go to bed it is usually significantly closer to reality.   My question is why?

I have 10:30 p.m. as my usually start time, and if I put the watch on an hour early . . . 9:30 P.M., I sync it, walk around a little, move my wrist around and go to bed right at 10:30 P.M. why isn't that enough for the watch to detect I've actually gone to sleep at 10:30 P.M., as I inputted as my usual sleep time.  I'm sure I have the same 'lower heart rate" and "lack of movement" as if I had been wearing it for two hours. Why does the sensors or the algorithm need a full two hours to be able to detect a sleep time?

AND....none of probably have a good answer for this, so speculation is encouraged.  Slight smile

• Sounds like you are not wearing the watch the rest of the day?  I charge the watch while I am in the bath or shower, so if that is before bed that means I don't have it on for 2 hours before - but I rarely have a problem. 

• It varies sometimes I wear it all day, other times I take it off.  Try taking it off and charging it, then put it on right before you go to bed.  Then next morning see how close it came to identifying when you went to sleep.