This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Warranty Procedure

Good Day, 

So I just want to find out how exactly does Garmin's Warranty work. 

Last year the screen of my FR645 stopped working. I contacted Garmin Support and they told me that they would replace my device as long as it is still under warranty. 

So 2 weeks ago I went to the store where I purchased my device and they confirmed that the device was still under warranty (less than 1 year since purchase).

Today I get an invoice for over R2000 in order to replace my device, but according to the warranty I should only have to pay for transport and not parts and labour (see excerpt below) so how is this R2000 justified? 

Excerpt from Garmin's 1 Year Consumer Limited Warranty Policy:

"Garmin’s non‐aviation products are warranted to be free from defects in materials or workmanship for one year from the date of purchase. Within this period, Garmin will, at its sole option, repair or replace any components that fail in normal use. Such repairs or replacement will be made at no charge to the customer for parts or labor, provided that the customer shall be responsible for any transportation cost.

It makes no sense why transport would be half the cost of a new device so what do I not understand?

• When contacting garmin support, did they make clear that the repair will be under warranty?

What does the invoice say? What did they charge you for?

• Garmin Support's exact words were:

"Regrettably Sir, there is no way for Garmin Technicians to have the screen on your Forerunner 645 device replaced as an individual component. As these devices come pressure sealed from the manufacturer and thus it would be impossible to ensure the device is water resistant, is such a process were to be carried out. In such a situation like yours, Garmin would only be able to have your device completely replaced, pending an assessment of your damaged device via our Technical Service channel."

The invoice only says:

"FORERUNNER 645 SERVICE"

• So to me it looks like the repair/replacement was out of warranty. Did you try claiming any warranty rights when contacting garmin support? Did you provide a proof of purchase?

• I send the device to Garmin through the retailer where I purchased the device and they assured me that they would send the proof of purchase along with the device. 

I did raise this issue with them and they agree that the product should still be under warranty and they have raised the issue with Garmin.