This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

645 first impressions: not good

I went for my first run with my new 645 (non-music version) last night.  I switched to Garmin because of terrible compatibility between the Map My Run app and my Apple Watch, which Under Armor knows about, but apparently has no interest in fixing.  Last night I ran a very well-defined route that I have run countless times before.  The total mileage for the route is just over six miles.  Imagine the sinking feeling in my gut when I looked at my watch after finishing my run, only to find that the 645 indicated that I only ran 1.84 miles!  I looked at the map that was generated, and there it is...I started on my street (although apparently the watch didn't wake up and start recording anything until I was almost to the end of my block), and then the run terminates 13 minutes later, 1.84 miles away.  According to the watch, I never even made it home!

So what gives?  Did I buy a lemon?  Should I return the 645 now and look at other brands?  Very disappointing to not even get one single run in before the watch malfunctions. 

• Assuming you started, stopped, and saved your activity correctly, I would restart the watch, connect to Garmin Express and make sure you have all the updates. This has happened to me in the past, but only after realizing I inadvertently pressed the wrong key. Could you share a link to your activity on Garmin Connect?

• seilogramp, 

Thank you for your prompt reply.  I think I started the run correctly, and the watch did in fact chirp at me and buzz when I reached the first full mile.  Then it buzzed at me a bit later (no chirp that I recall), and I completed the remaining ~4 miles with no further stimuli from the watch.  I now believe that the second buzz I felt was the watch ending the workout on its own.  Perhaps I need to restart the watch when I get home tonight, but it's disheartening that this happened on my first trek out.

I just attempted to get to Garmin Connect to see if I could share a link with you, and this is what I see (not good): 

• Garmin Connect is up and running, at least for me. Not seeing any issues on the Garmin Connect Status page

Just to verify you are going to https://connect.garmin.com/

Would just like to confirm if you've got a bad device or there is something else going on.

• What total time was recorded on the activity? Was that also only part of your run? If the time was the total time of your run, your watch might have lost GPS lock, which I think is fed back to you by a vibration of the watch.

• Additionally, if we can't help you here, it might be a good idea for you to take advantage of your warranty and see what Garmin Support can offer regarding assisting or, if need be, replacing the unit. https://support.garmin.com/

• I also assume that WHILE you were running, you looked at your watch and could see various status data fields, for the 'Run' activity you selected when you started out. Yes? You could see time, maybe distance, maybe heart rate, the basics....? I ask because it sounds to me that you didn't actually 'commence' an actual run activity, and the buzz you heard about a mile in was likely the 'power save' warning the watch will give, if you've pushed the top right button on the watch to where you can SELECT an activity (you'd see Run, Walk, Bike, etc on the screen) and if you don't select one of those activities there, in about 10 min or so, the watch will buzz you like 'hey you didn't select anything, you big oaf' and it will revert back to the default watch face. I've done this a few times while walking my dog, get distracted and forgot to 'start' the activity.
    Ok, but you might say - well the watch tracked SOMEthing, for the 1.84 or whatever miles it was - how is that possible?? The watch also has a function called 'MoveIQ' - where it will, if you've allowed it, auto-select an activity for you, once you start moving. You don't have to do anything, to make this happen. You can tell if that happened by looking at the Garmin Mobile Connect app, then going to the Calendar in the app, and then looking at the day this strange, ghost activity happened, for 'Daily Details' and look and see if that run you took shows up as a Run, or as a MoveIQ activity. That will also help us diagnose what's goin' on.....

• Neil,

This is very interesting...I went into the app on my phone, and indeed I do see a "ghost" activity, identified as a MoveIQ activity.  However, that MoveIQ activity shows up as beginning at 5:04 p.m. yesterday.  Beginning at 4:50 p.m., I have an actual, green icon run beginning.  

It now appears to me that my watch knows that I began a run at 4:50, "something" then happened just over 13 minutes later, and then the MoveIQ thing kicked in at 5:04.  The math all seems to support this conclusion.

While reading your response I was very hopeful that it was all user error on my part, but in looking at my data for yesterday, it very clearly shows a run with the green icon, as well as the "ghost" icon right beneath it.  

• pcraenme,

Thank you for your response.  I covered just over 6 miles in about 44 minutes.  The Garmin Connect data indicates that I went on a run (with the green icon) for 13:06, then I apparently began a "MoveIQ" activity, which lasted another 31 minutes.  Total distance covered is only shown by the data contained under the green icon run, or 1.84 miles.  In the real world, I ran a bit over 6 miles.  The total time encompassed between the run and the MoveIQ activity appears to be correct.

And when looking at the map generated by my run, the watch recognizes that I got 1.84 miles from home...and then I apparently never made it back.

• You'll need to make it public (at least temporarily) so we can see it. Click the padlock in the top/right corner then select "Everyone."