This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cracks on Forerunner 645

The strap on my Forerunner 645 fell off on Friday - one cracked and broken lug.  I've contacted Garmin and, because I've lost all confidence in the 645 after reading all these posts, I've asked that they replace with the Fenix and I will quite happily pay the difference.  Apparently they won't do this.  Why not ?  It's not a new fault so Garmin should take full responsibility and put the customer first.  And perhaps they should also have done a product recall when they realised they had a problem ?  I've now sent in the jpegs as requested and am waiting to hear what they say.

• This sounds terrible.  I'm just reading about this cracking problem after getting a 645 for the GF during the BF price drop. Now I'm wondering if I should pack it back up, return it, and count my blessings.

Been a long time Garmin user (mostly Fenix). Maybe my over confidence in the company is unfounded.

How old is your unit?  Do you tend to wear it pretty tight (not that that should be a problem).

I wonder what % of these have shown the problem....  I wonder if Garmin has made any design changes to fix the problem ?

The girlfriend wants to wear the 645 daily (not just for running).

• I wore my mine daily, not overly tight and had it for 18 months.  Garmin have offered me a replacement.  Wiggle are offering either a replacement or a 100% voucher refund.  I am returning to Wiggle as I'd prefer, if possible, to upgrade to the Fenix 6S Plus.  The 645 is a brilliant watch - I use for my own running as well as coaching - but I've lost all confidence.  Google Forerunner 654 + cracking to find the other Garmin Forum on the subject (I meant to post there but didn't manage); there are a lot of posts of the exact same fault,  the last of which from only 16 days ago.  I have to assume that as Garmin have offered me a replacement (new not refurbished) then they are accepting but not acknowledging the problem.  Whether or not they have rectified, I do not know - time will tell.  Garmin would not upgrade me even though I - obviously ! - would pay the extra.  

• Happened to my watch twice! First, I thought it was a random manufactory problem and replace my watch through the dealer, but now happened again!!!!

One week before a marathon!

I am running with Garmin’s watches for 11 years and I’ve never had such a problem with their products. I am extremely disappointed and don’t know what to do now. 1 week before a marathon :(

I wore my watch daily. No swimming. No unusual tight. Not something I haven't done with my previous watches. 

• I too have worn Garmin watches for around 11 years.  There's another chain on this forum about this fault (I mis-posted my first post) and, having read all the posts, I decided not to get a replacement even though Garmin UK offered by a new - not refurbished watch because it doesn't sound as though Garmin have addressed and rectified the issue.  Garmin wouldn't refund my money but Wiggle have given me a voucher for the full purchase cost.  I've now upgraded to the Fenix 6S which does not have these lugs.  Good luck with your marathon.

• Is that part of the Fenix different? I thought it was also a plastic