This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

645 vs Fenix 6 comparison

Received my Fenix 6 Sapphire Titanium yesterday, unfortunately I'll be sending it back due to a couple of issues (defective screen and OHR sensor), however thought I would post some comparison photos.

Background: 46 yr old male, 155 lbs/70kg. I bought my first Garmin watch (Vivoactive HR) in July 2016 to support my get-fit focus which was primarily elliptical and some weights in the gym. Overall good experience with the VAHR although I found the styling very dated. In March 2018 I decided to replace it and chose the Forerunner 645 over the VivoActive 3 as I wanted to have more than 1 button and there were some features of the F645 I preferred. The 645M also encouraged me to start jogging so I went from never having jogged to now running 6-7km every day and last weekend completed my first formally timed 5k run (Park Run) in 20:35. My 645M experience has overall been positive, yes I had a few resets/blue triangle of death in the early days with audio alerts but the 645M has been 95%+ a positive experience. I originally used Beats PowerX headphones and have just switched to Powerbeats Pro. 

Initial thoughts:

• F6 is significantly larger/heavier than the 645M. It is something that shouldn't be too difficult to get used to but it is worth being aware of. I went for the 6 rather than the 6S as I wanted the bigger screen and better battery life
  • The new widget view is good
  • The default watch faces on the F6 don't particularly appeal to me and I wish they would allow Active Calories as a data point on the main watch face as that is my daily goal rather than steps etc
  • F6 OHR issues where it decides to stop working - quite a few other people have the same issue if you look on the F6 forum
  • Defective screen - when screen has white background it has a very noticeable black smear beneath the glass
  • Sapphire screen much duller than non-graphite so may be worth going for non-sapphire and getting a screen protector
  • F6 bluetooth connectivity to Powerbeats Pro headphones is better/stronger than the 645M
  • No issues with connecting to Wahoo Tickr X HRM
  • Can't test much from the Connect IQ store, e.g. running power with RD Pod as they have not been made compatible for the F6 yet.
  • Repsiratory rate shows in Garmin Connect for the first activity I did
  • GPS seemed ok from a quick walk, but have not extensively tested it yet.

This actual F6 will be being returned due to the defects, I will decide over weekend whether to get a replacement or wait for the 655 which will likely have the extra data metrics etc which is why I bought the F6, but for half the price. I was initially very excited with the F6, but the two issues experienced in first 24 hours have put a dampener on it - appreciate that is just bad luck.

Weight of 645M

Weight of Fenix 6 Titanium

Comparison side by side

with backlight on

regards

TheSalamander

• Hi guys, I thought that rd pod only doesn’t turn on for me on f6. Does anyone know a solution? or have to wait for new updates.

• When I had my F6 I had no issue with the RD Pod but that was with an earlier firmware etc, and I know some people are experiencing issues with the later firmwares although not sure if any issues are related to the RD Pod.

I don't know whether your F6/RD Pod is your first Garmin device or if you have been using the RD Pod with a prior Garmin. This may sound silly, but you are aware that to get the RD Pod data you need to add the Running Dynamic data field to your running activity?

• Hi Scotthunter2 - I am curious to examine your Fenix  (vs 645) tracks, but I get : 

''It looks like you don't have access privileges to view this activity.' 

on the links.

Thanks 

• I would also appreciate a photo-comparison of the 6S / 645. Has it been posted anywhere?

• Hey Salamander.  What watch face are you using on your 645?  I tried to find it but can't find anything that matches exactly.  Thanks!

• Royal  https://apps.garmin.com/en-GB/apps/5bd8f413-44b1-4820-8b85-0b0f9a28d092

Been using it for 2+ years and is the best in terms of balance of data/seeing time etc. Other than selecting the data fields to show I also switch it so the top/bottom background color is the same (black).

• Thanks!  Will check it out.

• I acquired a F6S last week, additional to my 645. (Will be passed on to a family member) 

Please let me know which specific pictures / info etc  you require. 

• Saturday May 9th I decided to no longer wait for a Forerunner 655 and instead ordered another Fenix 6 Titanium Sapphire. Its been ~8 months since my last try with the Fenix 6 which ended up with me returning the Fenix 6 due to a screen defect (oily smudge under the glass). While I liked the watch I also had some concerns around the GPS accuracy which I am hoping have now been improved.

The Fenix 6 arrived today, Tuesday May 12th, and while I am still configuring it, I decided to go for a 1.5km walk with the Fenix 6 on my left wrist, and the Forerunner 645M on my right wrist. Both watches were connected to the same HRM, so the calories/HR stats are the same, but once again I find the GPS track is materially different: 1.47km (F6) vs 1.53km (Forerunner 645M), which makes a reasonable difference on the pace. 

I will adjust the GPS settings and see if that helps when I go for a jog tomorrow, but while the Fenix 6 is an awesome watch the Sony GPS chip just seems to be a weak point. I fully acknowledge that it could be that the F6 is the correct one and the Forerunner 645M is reading too high, and I won't be able to prove if that is the case or not without some more detailed testing.

• I always run the same route, and I get different GPS traces and distances depending on whether I'm wearing my 645 on my right or left hand, and whether I'm running clockwise or anti-clockwise.

You can measure the distance using Google Maps, I'd advise you to use satellite view