This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Is it possibile to update firmware via Wifi?

Hello,

I have a simple question. Is there a way to update the firmware via WiFi instead of pugging in the device and then to look for firmware updates?

Thanks,

Dan

• Hi, yes, it should update automatically, when is new update available. If it does not update, look at menu - software update, if you have automatic updates turned on.

• No, you can't update via WiFi directly (from the WiFi capability of the watch). 

You can update the watch via WiFi indirectly, via Bluetooth using the Connect app on an Android or Apple phone. Your phone can then be connected to the internet via WiFi or mobile phone data. 

Note that Bluetooth will be a lot slower than a physical connection and won't always appear immediately on the former (e.g. because battery level is too low). 

• George, that is not entirely true.  You can directly download a new FW via WiFi.  There are a couple tricks.  First the FW needs to be broadly rolled out.  Second, you must have WiFi configured.  Then turn off BT and manually select to connect to the WiFi.  The watch will sync via WiFi if it can find the network.  During the sync, the watch will download the system FW if it is available.  I have updated a couple of watches with this method instead of waiting for the BT link to download.

this will only download the system FW.  GPS, WiFi, OHR, and sensor hub FW does not appear to download from anything other than Garmin Express.

• In release 6.20 the wifi no longer works well, 2 very difficult synchronizations in a row repeated several times with errors (105), before always perfect

• On the third day, after three shutdowns of the 645M, the wifi synchronization returned operational also with rel. 6:20

• I've had good like with getting not only the main FW, but also the other parts over wifi.

One additional thing to note, is when you get this stuff over BT or wifi, the default is that it will install "tonight", so the update could be on the watch, but not yet installed.

So when I try to download with wifi, I always check Settings>System>Software Update to see if there is something waiting to be installed.

• It's not true, I did it several times and it worked

• I believe this answer isn't directly addressing the question raised by the original post. His question essentially is asking if there's a way to update the firmware WITHOUT any other accompanying technology beyond having the watch connect to a wifi network. Meaning - no phone involved at all, no PC connection, nothing. Just the watch and a wifi network. And in that scenario - of course there's no way to update the firmware. The watch needs SOME sort of source to get the firmware - either the phone via Bluetooth, or a laptop, typically USB.

If I'm wrong on this I'm more than welcome to have a correction, but....as far as I know, the watch needs a source for the firmware, like a phone or laptop, etc.