This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

645M Freeze after FW 6.20

In the morning I got software 6.20 for my 6.45M.

After the first sync over BT and mobile: FREEZE !!

Restart the clock. Now you can see how the battery power decreases 1% in every 3 minutes

Reset to defaults, same issue

• My Garmin freezes after every activity when i press save. Then i have to restart the watch. After the restart there is mostly just 10% of the battery left, even though i had more than 80% before. This is already my second 645 as i send the old one back bc of issues with the gps! This problem is still here, it always takes longer than 2 minutes to load the gps! Compared to my old 920xt where it took about 5 seconds!!! Really not happy with that watch..

• For your GPS sync time issue, on their own the watches almost always take 2-3 minutes to sync to GPS. To get better, within seconds, they need to download an "ephemera" file to give them a head-start on syncing. They get this when they are connected to the computer, or connected to WiFi. (I do not believe they get it when connected to your phone via bluetooth, but I may be wrong.) So if you do not have a wifi network configured on your watch, and also do not regularly sync with your PC, this could explain slow GPS sync.

(I am not an expert and if you already knew that, apologies. Just a suggestion.)

• I am back on 4.20 now and it is rock solid so far! For me the watch had been pretty much rock solid since after a few updates just after the watch was launched. 5.9 introduced the freezing when pressing ”done” after an activity. That bug remains on 6.2 and it drove me crazy. Really, really crazy.

To go back to 4.20, download:

645 gawisp.com/.../Forerunner645Beta_517Beta.zip

645 Music gawisp.com/.../Forerunner645Music_517Beta.zip

Unzip the file and rename Gupdate420.gcd to Gupdate.gcd and transfer to the GARMIN folder on the primary partition on your watch. Unplug and it will ask you to ”upgrade”.

All your settings will be lost (but you are already used to that now after the numerous people suggesting a factory reset would solve the issue. Spoiler: It doesn’t)

If you are on OSX you will need ”Android file transfer” to transfer the update to the watch. You can find it here:

dl.google.com/.../AndroidFileTransfer.dmg

The reason you should download the ”beta” firmware package is that it seems to include a downgradeable firmware image to 4.20 for restore purposes if 5.17Beta was bad. Just putting a stock 5.70 image does not seem to work. The watch just ignores it. 

Nothing is new in this post, everything can be read in this forum. However, when I wanted to go back I found that some information was missing/unclear and it is nice to have it in just one post. 

• Tried this and for some reason it will not let me write the file to my watch.  

• I only have freezes after saving for longer workouts (> 2h). The watch freezes 2 seconds after returning to the watch face. No 3rd party apps besides spotify.

I've never had a freeze for shorter workouts. 

• Garmin, this sucks - i reported that damn bugs weeks ago and all i got is kinda „we know the problems from a few customers“ - come on, People are paying big Money for a solid Hardware and a really bad software. At least TRY to fix it !

• I got the same in my brand new 645. HELP! It really sucks!

• If screaming into the void makes you feel better, then fine but if you want help here, tell people what setup you've got. Not everybody is getting this problem so it will help Garmin and other users if you tell them what CIQ apps you have, what devices connected, wifi sync, whether this is for long or short runs or anything else you think is relevant. 

While we wait for a proper fix (and we may wait a long time especially as Apple have broken the Connect app for iPhone users) there are lots of partial fixes/workarounds that may help. Read the suggestions below and tell people if they worked for you. 

E.g. I found deleting the FIT files worked for me and I've only had once freeze in the last 2 months, despite using the device almost every day but usually less than 90 minutes. Other people are getting the problem every time but unless it's a hardware fault on their particular devices the only explanation I can think of is that it must be due to individual setups or types of activities/data. 

• Former Member can you at least give us an update on the status of this issue? This is been going on for months! Is this going to be addressed or is Garmin throwing in the towel on the 645?

• Many of us actually called Garmin to report this on top of posting here. What me and others are mostly complaining about is the lack of communication on this issue. Given the wide number of reports on this I can't honestly believe that Garmin is unable to reproduce and debug the issue in their lab. Yes it is mostly random, ranging from every activity to once in a while, but I'm sure they have the resources to test this in a controlled environment.