This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can the OHR be switched off for activities?

I try to run with my HRM-RUN all the time when possible to get good HR data. But the times I don't have it on, like if I forgot it or if the battery runs out, I don't want the OHR to be used by default. I just want the OHR to be used when resting, walking and sleeping. The data I get from the OHR when running or cycling is complete rubbish. I have a normal wrist, wear it normally, and the sensor isn't obscured by hair. It simply doesn't bear any resemblance to my actual HR and doesn't show any patterns with elevation gain like it should do. As a result, many of my Strava activities with the OHR are filled with useless data which I can't remove, which annoys me, because no data is better than bad data. I sometimes like to compare efforts from different activities or segment attempts and it makes it confusing to know which is good HR data from the chest strap and which is bad (from the OHR). There doesn't seem to be a way of deleting bad HR data from within Strava (although I think you can make it private?).

• You'll have to manually switch it off before you start an activity and switch it on again when you complete one. Long press the UP button to access the menu. Scroll (with the UP/DOWN buttons) to Settings and select it (START). Scroll to Wrist Heart Rate and select it. Press START to toggle the Status between Auto and Off. This isn't too bad as a fallback for when you forget your chest strap. (The battery should last about a year.)

You can't delete HR data from within Strava, but you can hide it on a per activity basis, when uploading or editing. You can permanently strip it out using FIT File Tools or by text editing a GPX or TCX file. There are a number of threads on here and elsewhere about this, but let me know if you need further help.

• Not being funny mate but I think your over the top in slagging garmin off, I use the 645m as my HRM for cycling and the results are bang on same as my Garmin HR strap which is the best and most accurateon the the market worn by 80% of pro cyclists, I think you should apologise 

• It is well established that wrist OHR is very hit and miss. It works well for some people but is terrbile for others. Skin colour and tone, wrist shape, bloodflow etc can all have an adverse effect.

I use a HRM strap most of the time but on the occasions I don't, I find the 645's OHR to be pretty flaky. Sometimes the numbers loook alright when I run but often it will lock on to my (much higher) cadence rather than heart rate. Trying to use it for cycling is a complete waste of time - I can be going flat out up a 10% incline and my watch says I am at less than 60% HRmax. I'm not sure why it so bad for me when cycling - it may be something about how my wrist is angled - I know it works well for some other people.

This isn't just a Garmin issue - my wife's apple watch gives completly ludicrous HR figures on her runs.

If wrist OHR was always spot on for everybody there wouldn't be much of a market for HR straps so the fact that Garmin sell a few different models and integrates it with their watches is an obvious indication that wrist based OHR has some serious limitations.The OP hasn't directly slagged off Garmin at all - he has just said that it doesn't work for him. I can't see why he should apologise!