This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Altimeter issue

Anyone else getting false elevation reading on the 645M ?? Mine is consistently overestimating by 600ft.. any way of calibrating this???
  • I used the watch with the latest firmware at a marathon yesterday, it had me at 50m below sea level at times! I gave it ~10 mins before the run started to sort out a decent gps lock also. 

Also experience the freeze introduced with 5.90 where the watch periodically hangs after saving an activity & going back to the watch face.

• A lot of people replying here seem to have problems with the altimeter which they attribute to the software update.  I made this mistake.  For ages I thought it was a problem with the software but eventually it got worse and I contacted Garmin for a replacement.  This has fixed it so presumably it wasn't anything to do with the update but just happened to get worse at around the same time!

There is a design fault with the altimeter sensor, which is behind two small holes by the start button.  These can easily accumulate gunk and be difficult if not impossible to clean. Living in a hard water area or having a high mineral content in your sweat it can make it worse and rinsing doesn't help if its the water that's causing the problem. IMO to fix the problem the alitimeter should be built into the body rather than being just behind it.  This would be more expensive to manufacture but it would at least justify a price difference between the 645 and 245 which otherwise is hard to justify. 

• Stop and start activity doesn't change anything. The probleme is taht I can't identify when the altimeter stop working during a workout. And it is randomly.

Yesterday I made a cycling race 70 km and the altimeter has worked. I did nothing more than the otherdays. The only difference was that the garmin clock ws fixed on the bike and not weat on my wrist.

Perhaps it can explaied. I will try another time. 

• For me it has worked (so far), although not very feasible workaround - especially when running a race.
    How do I know when it stop working or not working properly? Need check the watch when running uphill or downhill. So for example, if I run 10 or 20 meters uphill and the watch show that I have run 1-2 meter(s) uphill, then I know that the altimeter does not work properly anymore.
    Another option is press stop/start or randomly - one or two times may enough, depending how long you run.

• Now "sawtooth" all the time during the marathon which caused 336 meters up although the real was ~ 130 meters. The difference was 6.2 firmware and I set 1 second recording. The good think was that the lowest and highest values was correct. Start and end level was almost same as well.

• Hello,

following my observation this smooth altitude seems to happen when you have a low GPS signal. I had every times bad altimeter data during the same activity (at same place, same hour). I checked the satellite position at this hour and saw GPS satellites were far away this place contrary to Galileo satellite. I decided to activate GPS + Galileo mode and, oh miracle, for the first time the altimeter data were perfect. I did several test with the same result.

Is there a bug with barometer when the GPS calibration fail during activity ?