This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Trackpoint Sampling Rate

My wfe has a FR45, I have an Edge 130. Using both for the same cycle ride, and having both activities set to "elevation correction - enabled", the FR45 shows a significant difference in height gained. (Edge c. 1570 feet in 23 miles vs. 1370 feet FR45). The discrepancy appears to be due to the FR45 trackpoint sample rate. The 2 exported GPX files for the activity are hugely different in size - Edge about 2.6 KB, FR45 about 0.5KB. The Edge is taking a trackpoint every second, without fail. The FR45 may take 2 or 3 trackpoints just a second apart but the next one may be 7 or 8 seconds later. Obviously, during this longer gap, we may have crested a rise, but the data is missing.

Any suggestions/fixes other than a new unit, please?

• Just answered my own question. DC Rainmaker review of FR45 advises it is "smart recording" only, so no ability to take trackpoints every second.

• Although it's smart recording only this shouldn't be a problem. The main difference is that Edge 130 has a barometer, while FR45 doesn't. When your device doesn't have a barometer, Connect isn't reliable for calculating elevation. You should use Strava for that since it uses community barometer measurements.